Help with push-pull tone pot wiring

ruscio

I'd like to add a coil-split feature via a push-pull tone pot on two Ibanez JS style guitars with DiMarzios in an HH config plus a 3-way toggle. My plan is to use existing volume pot, toggle, jack, and pickups, swapping in a push-pull tone pot for the one in there now and re-wiring as needed. I found this wiring diagram, and I have a few Qs:

HH 3-Way Toggle Push-Pull Coil Split.jpg

1. I never use the tone control, and only want to be able to pull up for coil splitting. Can I simply leave out the capacitor? If so, would the lug normally connected through it to ground still need to be grounded?

2. I can never remember which colors the DiMarzio wires are, can anyone remind me which are N start, N finish, S start, and S finish?

3. Any other tips or advice you'd like to share?

Thanks!

1. To disable the tone control, you can remove the cap and leave the lug disconnected (Do NOT ground the lug).

2. I will try to search my home computer to find an Ibanez / Dimarzio wiring diagram that may be easier to follow. I thought most / all JS guitars had push-pull tone control as standard, so it should not be hard to find a diagram for this.

Are you really sure there is no Push-Pull tone control on the Ibanez JS signature Guitar?

If you have a genuine factory JS guitar with dual humbuckers, the wiring schematic should be similar to this:
The neck pickup in the Ibanez JS signature with PAF PRO, or PAF JOE normally has a RW/RP special order option from Dimarzio. The wiring colour code is non-standard for the neck pickup so you need this diagram above to get the hum canceling when the pickup selector is in middle position.

On the other hand, if you bought standard production Dimarzio pickups, it is better to use this schemactic from the Dimarzio website:
The diagram shows a rail-humbucker, but its magnetic polarity and colour code is the same as standard Dimarzio humbuckers. Using this diagram you can get hum-cancelling with standard Dimarzio humbuckers (coil-split) when the pickup selector is in middle position.

Are you really sure there is no Push-Pull tone control on the Ibanez JS signature Guitar?

If you have a genuine factory JS guitar with dual humbuckers, the wiring schematic should be similar to this:
The neck pickup in the Ibanez JS signature with PAF PRO, or PAF JOE normally has a RW/RP special order option from Dimarzio. The wiring colour code is non-standard for the neck pickup so you need this diagram above to get the hum canceling when the pickup selector is in middle position.

On the other hand, if you bought standard production Dimarzio pickups, it is better to use this schemactic from the Dimarzio website:
The diagram shows a rail-humbucker, but its magnetic polarity and colour code is the same as standard Dimarzio humbuckers. Using this diagram you can get hum-cancelling with standard Dimarzio humbuckers (coil-split) when the pickup selector is in middle position.
Thanks for the notes. I probably should have provided more detail to clarify what I'd like to do.

I do have a JS2410, and b/c I really like the push-pull I'd like to install the same on a couple of other JS style guitars.

One's got a JS1200 body + Warmoth neck; the previous owner rewired, neither pot is push-pull. The other guitar is a partscaster with JS style body, same pickups as JS2410 but no push-pull. They both already have volume pots with audio taper + treble bleed, which I prefer to having a push-pull on the volume for the high-pass.

That means I just want to add in a push-pull on the tone pot, but only for splitting the coils without even being actively in the circuit as a tone control. One day if I find myself using tone controls, that would be easy enough to add back in here.

Thanks for explaining. The JS1200 seems like it will be suitable for the original Ibanez wiring scheme, if it still has the factory pickups. For the tone control, the simplest thing is to just leave the cap in there and don’t change anything.

Otherwise by disconnecting the tone cap, the 500k pot will be completely out of the circuit. That will make to tone brighter and I guess that’s why you asked the first question. Soldering a link in place of the tone cap is NOT the solution as it would have an even bigger effect on the tone if the knob is inadvertently moved. The best solution if you want to defeat the tone control IMO is to leave the tone cap in place. Then connect the tone pot via lug #1 and lug #3, then leaving the middle lug unconnected. It means the position of the wiper in the tone pot will have no effect on the resistance, so the pot functions as a 500k fixed resistor.

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining. The JS1200 seems like it will be suitable for the original Ibanez wiring scheme, if it still has the factory pickups. For the tone control, the simplest thing is to just leave the cap in there and don’t change anything.

Otherwise by disconnecting the tone cap, the 500k pot will be completely out of the circuit. That will make to tone brighter and I guess that’s why you asked the first question. Soldering a link in place of the tone cap is NOT the solution as it would have an even bigger effect on the tone if the knob is inadvertently moved. The best solution if you want to defeat the tone control IMO is to leave the tone cap in place. Then connect the tone pot via lug #1 and lug #3, then leaving the middle lug unconnected. It means the position of the wiper in the tone pot will have no effect on the resistance, so the pot functions as a 500k fixed resistor.
Gotcha, I see. However, I'll be starting with new push-pull pots, no cap installed. If leaving the cap out altogether will brighten the tone a bit, that may be a plus for me. Will try it out that way, can always add a cap later if too bright.

If you are not wanting to use the push-pull tone pot as a tone pot at all, then simply don't wire the pot part of it at all. Just wire the switch part and run a wire from the terminal that would go to ground of the tone pot instead just to a common ground point such as the volume pot.

Back