Help please

Garrett

So I'm ordering the parts for my first build tonight  :cool01: it'll be a WGD body with 1 vol 2 tone and 5 way switch (because that's all warmoth is offering, I even sent them an email. Oh well) Well there is only one thing, I am terrible at drawing out schematics. Could I get some help?

The config will be 3 humbuckers 1 vol 2 tone w/ five way, but with push/pull pots for coil cut (Neck-keep the single coil closest to neck and the other two closest to the bridge)

Can I get some help, I looked through the seymour duncan schematics but they didn't have this particular one.

Thanks,
-gk

If you call them, you should be able to specify your preferred control route. I would insist on getting the layout that I wanted. You can drill holes yourself for pots and LP-style three way switches if need be.

All the info you'll need is contained within these two diagrams. Just understand that on the standard strat one, 'white' is for hot wire, 'black' is for ground. The actual colors will depend on your particular pickup brand and how you tap them. Once you understand what's going in these two, you'll be able to make your own wiring diagram with no probs, just get a sheet of paper, some different colored pens, and a stiff drink, and go for it. You can post your draft schematic here and somebody will check it for you. Third link is common color codes.

tapping. http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=coil_splitting

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=3s_1v_2t_5w

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=color_codes

What you've described is a simple Strat style schematic with the addition of the push/pull.  The pickup going to the push/pull is wired according to that diagram, the output of that goes on the switch where the output from that pickup would go.  Right?

I actually just ordered it, five way switch and all. I sent them a couple emails about it and they said that the only available ones were shown, it's not a big deal this will probably work better anyway. And thanks for the help, when my parts come I'll keep you posted, thanks.

Uno problemo, I just sat down and looked through the schematics to draw one out. But I don't understand how to incorporate a coil cut and a five way. Do the wires go into the pots before they go into the five way switch or vise versa, and if so, how?

Thanks again
-gk

Garrett said:
Uno problemo, I just sat down and looked through the schematics to draw one out. But I don't understand how to incorporate a coil cut and a five way. Do the wires go into the pots before they go into the five way switch or vise versa, and if so, how?

Thanks again
-gk

In this case yes.  If you weren't using the push pulls, it would be more complicated.  Terminate the pickups to be split on the respective push/pull.  Once that is done, each push/pull will have an output.  Those would terminate on the 5-way like normal.

Think about it this way: the wire that goes from the 5-way into the master volume is going to have whatever signal you are dialing up - neck / mid with mid coil tap, or whatever combination. So, first you've got to cut the coil or not, then select which pickup output(s) will go to the master vol. You could get a mega switch and pretty much get whatever sounds you want, but only five sounds, so your three push pots are the more flexible option, even if it ends being a bit complicated.

Alright cool. Now I was thinking about a master bass and treble such as on G&L's. In order to do this would I terminate the wires on the treble pot like it was a master volume but with a cap and then terminate them on the bass next then to the output? And what types of caps would I need, I already have a bunch of .047 ceramic ones laying around.

Trust me, I understand that. I'm just trying to make this as snazzy as possible so I don't have to crack it open and re-wire it again.

Hmm. I don't know how G&L does it but what you described is definitely not the way. I am sure that it will involve resistors and other stuff, at least, unless you're talking about an active (battery powered) EQ or boost.
If I were you, I'd skip all this junk and come back to it later. Make sure the basic stuff works before adding on bells and whistles.

Haha yea I gotcha, I may just do that
Here is one of the schematics, just like I described it except the pot values doulbe each time (250k, 500k, 1m)
http://www.glguitars.com/schematics/Legacy_Special_Schematic_drawing.pdf

Ah. Interesting schematic, very clever. It would be better if that "bass" control had a bypass. What it basically is, is a second volume control that allows treble frequencies to pass through no matter what.
Does that control actually give you useful tones?  I may try that one someday.

Yea, before I discovered Warmoth guitars and their neverending magic I was saving up for this beautiful G&L legacy that I would play just about everyday at my local music store and I always loved the controls because you could get (very close to)  texas blues tones, vintage strat tones, very nice soft jazz tones and lots of others by a few tweaks I loved it, I think it really unlocked the potential of the G&L pickups. I deffinately recomend. Ill be working on a schematic here, checking and double checking then I'll post it up for y'all to check.  :icon_thumright:

EDIT: Hey, in order to do this would I need a 500k 1m and 2m like the legacy (250k 500k 1m) (I would think in order to handle it the pots would need to increase, but then again I only have an amateur electrical knowledge)? Also I was thinking to use a .047 and .0047 not unlike the legacy's .022 and .0022. Let me know what you think, I'm just shooting off ideas now, not necessarily what I would do.

EDITx2: Here's my schem, it's sloppy, it's mspaint, I know but I think it's understandable so check it out:
Myschem.jpg

The wires coming out of the humbuckers, from top to bottom:
North Start
North Finish
South Finish
South Start
Bare or Shield

Pots from top to bottome:
Volume
Tone (neck)
Tone (middle and bridge)

Let me know if I left anything out, or if there are any problems.  :icon_thumright:

For starters, the push-pot connection setup on your volume control (top one, neck pickup) is correct; the other coil taps make no sense. Fix those, and label stuff, and you'll be a lot closer.

I got the coil tap schem from: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources.1wiringdiagrams.humbuckerwiringmods/

The top one is for North and the bottom two are for South (coils). My plan is when it comes time I'm going to redraw by hand so it's much nicer. Let me know if the above links make sense to you (they did to me  :laughing7:)

Ah, that makes sense. Normally you'd just tap it for the north coil, i.e., the screw I believe. It probably makes no difference then, but I'd still just tap the screw coils just to be consistent.

Back