Help! Is there a Warmoth neck that would fit a 72 Reissue Tele Deluxe?

dualband

I have a 72 Reissue Tele Deluxe that I'd like to replace with a Warmoth neck. The original neck has 3 bolts with the micro-tilt. I'm thinking about re-drilling and putting 4 bolts instead and even doing away with the micro-tilt. I'm not so sure about the neck pocket of it either because it's rounded in the corners and I suspect it's a strat heel but there seems to be a hump in the middle part of it. Can anyone help me in deciphering this so I can order the right neck? Thanks.

If these pictures look like what you have, I would guess that Warmoth can help you.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/bodies/tele.cfm?fuseaction=tele_deluxe

Also it mentions the that Tele deluxe had a Strat neck on it.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
If these pictures look like what you have, I would guess that Warmoth can help you.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/bodies/tele.cfm?fuseaction=tele_deluxe

Also it mentions the that Tele deluxe had a Strat neck on it.
Patrick

Almost like that but there's sort of a rise in the middle. Check this out and you'll notice the neck pocket. It's the same body that I got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-72-RI-Fender-Telecaster-DELUXE-Tele-BODY-1972_W0QQitemZ190219743071QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Thanks.

Can you post a top-view pic of your guitar? It's hard to see exactly what the pocket is like in the pictures in the ebay link.

I don't think I've seen that shape before.. (no expert!)

Maybe one of the more experienced guys can help. How about a picture of the neck heel?

Looking at the 72 RI Tele Deluxes on the web, they DO have a Strat neck, i.e., the butt end of the neck is rounded, rather than squared off like a regular Tele. That reissue IS a little weird, the originals DIDN'T have that extra wood routed out of the neck pocket, but the pickguard abuts the rounded end of the neck butt and covers that up.

You're probably going to need to order a 21 fret Total Vintage neck, which gives you a lot fewer options as to woods you can order and is available in a 7.5" flat radius only. (Per Fender's specs the neck that came on that body had a 12" flat radius. You cannot get the appropriate CBS style headstock on a Total Vintage, nor the 3 hole mounting setup.

If you get rid of the 3 bolt microtilt, you lose the serial numbering on your Tele Deluxe.

You CAN get the 3 bolt micro-tilt machining and a CBS headstock on a 22 fret Vintage Modern neck. The only cavaet emptor is that with the 22 fret overhang, pulling the pickguard assembly is a bitch without removing the neck. It can be done, but requires bending the pickguard assembly in a manner that feels dangerous to get the pickups to pop out of the routes, and could possibly cause one of the corners of the pickguard surrounding the neck butt to break. If you're only going to assemble this once, OK. If you're going to be pulling it occasionally to change things, it's a consideration.

Looking at the picture, it seems to me that the neck pocket has been altered from the original routing to enable a square, tele style, neck to be fitted at one stage.  :dontknow:

Back