Help choosing a finnish

chubs

My Goncalo alves neck should be here tuesday, got to start thinking about the body for my bass and would appreciate some input.

I've settled on a Black korina Tele bass body, and a transparent finnish of some kind, played around with photoshop and came up with these 4 finnishes, im leaning away from the dragon burst now, but left it in there.

any ideas/suggestions?

Attachments

• tele bass colours all.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 340
I'm going to be a heretic and say nitro finish (Don't shoot Cagey!  :laughing7:) alpine white. But that's just my white tele body super hard-on. Out of what you have shown, 2 or 4. 3 looks great but for a 3-tone I prefer vintage style. Do what makes you happy. I just really dig the idea of the alpine white wearing off to show the wood under it over time, and the contrast between neck and the white body.

Here is an actual photo of the dragon burst finnish on BK, it looks alot darker than the rendered images

PS6016C.jpg

Do you still think it will go with the neck?

Im very undecieded still. Had a few mates tell me to go for the green, I think # 2 looks good, I'm just scared im gonna pay $600+ on a body that i dont like once i see it in the flesh, im a terrible spray painter so doing it myself isnt an option.

To me, that looks like the kind of piece of wood you pick up and look underneath if you're interested in seeing how many bugs can coexist within a square foot of space. Y'know, like it's been sitting in a swamp for a while, and moss has started to grow on it, making it all slippery and spongy.

If it were me, I'd go with your first instinct - #2. That's a good-looking body. If not that, then #4.

chubs said:
Here is an actual photo of the dragon burst finnish on BK, it looks alot darker than the rendered images

PS6016C.jpg

Do you still think it will go with the neck?

Im very undecieded still. Had a few mates tell me to go for the green, I think # 2 looks good, I'm just scared im gonna pay $600+ on a body that i dont like once i see it in the flesh, im a terrible spray painter so doing it myself isnt an option.

The wood is not necessarily darker. It depends entirely on the piece, and there is quite a bit of variation in Black Korina.

Personally, I like the dragon burst. I would do that with a darker neck. Wenge/Ebony is a popular combo with Black Korina.

I like #4.  Is that Trans Amber or Sunset Orange?  I think an orange would work on Black Korina.  Or Honeyburst...

Hey chubs,

since I am a fan of the green color it'd be either #1 or the dragon burst  :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

:guitarplayer2: Rock on,
JULIA

Back