Heaviest body wood?

Probably maple. Though every wood varies piece to piece. I have a black korina jazzmaster body I built that's heavy as lead.

You could try calling/emailing and ask if they've got any extra heavy pieces; they might be happy to oblige since most folks want light weight

Maple and walnut are similar, with densities around the low 40s (lbs. per cubic foot). You can do a Google search for "densities of various woods", then compare to what Warmoth offers to find the most dense.

Individual pieces will differ of course, but this website will give you an idea of weight, as well as hardness, workability, general uses and description. Let us know what you conclude, though I'm sort of intrigued why you want a heavy body?

Individual pieces will differ of course, but this website will give you an idea of weight, as well as hardness, workability, general uses and description. Let us know what you conclude, though I'm sort of intrigued why you want a heavy body?

I’ve had short scale basses and smaller guitars, a 24 inch scale guitar. I don’t like how they jump around when I use the whammy bar, or jump around while playing them. I don’t want to load the control cavity with fishing weights. Also a light guitar feels cheap to me 🤷‍♂️

Then what you want is a maple body and then pay the upcharge for warmoth to give you the heaviest piece they have. May you have mercy on your back. Also, I've found that gits with longer horns, like a jazzmaster have less jumping around.

Though it might worth a call to ask Warmoth directly if they can source you the heaviest piece they have in stock. Who know, they might have a crazy chunk of rosewood they didn't know what to do with.

Last edited:
Then what you want is a maple body and then pay the upcharge for warmoth to give you the heaviest piece they have. May you have mercy on your back. Also, I've found that gits with longer horns, like a jazzmaster have less jumping around.

Though it might worth a call to ask Warmoth directly if they can source you the heaviest piece they have in stock. Who know, they might have a crazy chunk of rosewood they didn't know what to do with.
Will do. The build is a bit down the road since my next build parts will be here on Monday. A rosewood body would be amazing!

Love it when somebody ”goes against the tide”! However, I have to echo Rick: God have mercy on your back!

You can ask Warmoth to pick a body blank out of the “heavy” category for a particular species. Last time I asked there was no extra charge for “heavy” mahogany.

Well, You never know. My 5 string multi scale bass weighs 8.25 lbs.
my Ric 4 string weighs 9.5.
My P bass weighs 7.25. The Spector 4 weighs 8.

All I can say is I can't wait to see how it turns out
Will do,
Well, You never know. My 5 string multi scale bass weighs 8.25 lbs.
my Ric 4 string weighs 9.5.
My P bass weighs 7.25. The Spector 4 weighs 8.
True . I’ve never weighed my 6 string bass but it’s heavy. I should weigh it. It’s a generic 6 string jazz bass that roughly looks like a fender jazz except the headstock shape.

Back