Headless, Ergonomic, and Jazz-oriented stuff

rpguitar

1)  Bodies pre-routed for one NECK humbucker, since not everyone is a metalhead

2)  Real hollowbody options, not just chambered (like the PRS HB, Gibson ES-336, etc.)

3)  Headless necks and hardware from ABM

4)  Klein Electric Guitar body shape option

Not holding my breath on any of these!

"Not holding my breath on any of these!"

Good thing!

There's usually a number of bodies with NO pickup routes, which body type are you looking for? You can always custom order...

I don't think there's a plan at Warmoth to do any "real" hollow bodies, but you might want to do a build something along these lines:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=2669.0

My 335 will never leave it's stand again; a similar build with something along the lines of an SD Jazz pickup(s) might be what you're looking for. It's as loud as my 335 acoustically and has better sustain. I would have gotten a 2nd F-hole, but it was a Showcase body and those can't be added as they cut them before they glue the laminate top on. As far as I know this is the only to get a Korina semi-hollow body and I'm so impressed a Thinline Korina is on my near-term project list.

Thanks Jack - and your L5S is beautiful!

But I'm definitely a hollow body fan and semis are cool but not totally there.  I would like to be able to build a 5-6 lb guitar using Warmoth components, but I don't think it is possible given the stock selections.  Maybe a hollow basswood Soloist with a mahogany neck would be a start.  Dunno.

Anyway, I stopped building Warmoths because of my headless ergo guitars (it changes a great deal about playing comfort).  Here are my babies.  The orange one was made by luthier Chris Forshage and is almost hollow.  It weighs less than 6 lbs.

ForshageSmall.jpg
KleinSmall.jpg

"I would like to be able to build a 5-6 lb guitar using Warmoth components, but I don't think it is possible given the stock selections."

My L5S weighs right at 6 lbs.

rpguitar said:
Anyway, I stopped building Warmoths because of my headless ergo guitars (it changes a great deal about playing comfort).  Here are my babies.  The orange one was made by luthier Chris Forshage and is almost hollow.  It weighs less than 6 lbs.
I would be interested in headless bass necks and routs for Steinberger-style bridges on bodies.  I doubt there's enough demand to warrant it, though.  There is also the graphite option: http://www.mosesgraphite.com/cgi-bin/moses/MB-27?r3w9FybQ;;13

...But you might have to do some body routing for the bridge.

JBD

that would be interesting but don't hold yer breath for it. warmoth uses fender dimensions for the hardware and that would be so far off from a fender it's not even funny. it would require several totally new options. i think the more variety the better but some of there current designs don't sell very well and those have a smaller crowd and are a bit more specialized.

and for the weight, i have seen solid strat bodies made from extra light pieces of basswood or swampash that weigh in at under 3lbs. it is rare that a solid body is that light but thinlines are numerous. i don't know if swampash is good for a thinline or not but black korina can come in extra light pieces also. i think an l5s or thinline tele can come in at 5lbs assembled, watch the showcase for the lightest bodies, eventually you'll find one at 3lbs or less. add a neck pup only and single volume and a string through TOM or strat type hardtail and a korina neck with mini tuners you should be right there.

Back