HB - P90 combination

leinad

For my next project I am thinking of going for a HB - S - P90 combination.
Apart from the standard (strat) wiring, I would also like to be able to use the HB and P90 in combination (without the middle pickup) and also be able to enable all three pickups. There is one thing that confuses me though. When using a combination of the humbucker and P90, should the P90 be standard wound or RWRP? Or does it not matter, as a combination of a humbucker and a single coil will always produce a bit of hum whatever type I choose?

cheers,
Daniel

I can't answer your question, but that sounds like a cool setup.  Which position are you putting the P90 in?  Bridge or Neck?  Personally I would recommend Neck because, to me at least, I think you get the most P90 character in that position.

Won't matter what direction it's in relative to the humbucker ("reverse" wind/polarity has to be defined relative to something else). Pick your P90 and strat pup to be hum-cancelling with each other, buying them from the same maker will probably ensure that "RWRP" is actually the reverse of the 'normal' one.
If you're concerned about odd looking combos, consider a HB-sized P90.

chuck7 said:
Which position are you putting the P90 in?  Bridge or Neck?  Personally I would recommend Neck because, to me at least, I think you get the most P90 character in that position.

That is the idea, splitting humbucker in the bridge, strat in the center and the P90 in the neck.

tfarny said:
Won't matter what direction it's in relative to the humbucker ("reverse" wind/polarity has to be defined relative to something else). Pick your P90 and strat pup to be hum-cancelling with each other, buying them from the same maker will probably ensure that "RWRP" is actually the reverse of the 'normal' one.

I don't think I understand your answer. When both the humbucker and P90 are enabled (I am sure plenty of guitars have this setup without the center pickup), isn't the P90 then relative to the humbucker?  Or are you pointing out that a single coil cannot be relative to a humbucker? In any case, will there be any hum when both are enabled?

It is clear to me that it has to be reversed to the center pickup. Thanks for pointing out that different brands may have everything reversed, never thought of that. I think I will be going for Rio Grande's on this one.

tfarny said:
If you're concerned about odd looking combos, consider a HB-sized P90.

I think that the combination of HB - S - Soapbar will look cool (and odd  :glasses9:). It depends on whether I choose the jazz pickup or the bastard, I think.

thanks,
Daniel

RWRP means something only when you know the winding direction and polarity of the non-RWRP pickups. Humbuckers have two coils, one if which is RWRP to the other, that's what makes it a humbucker. So for instance if you order a Lollar P90 and a SD RWRP strat pickup, you won't know until you try them out if the strat pup is actually wound the reverse of the Lollar. There will be hum with P90/HB and strat/HB, unless you tap the HB and the 'on' coil in the HB is RWRP to the P90 or strat. Hope that clarifies.

You CAN get hum-cancelling with the tapped humbucker and the P90, guaranteed (because the P90 will be RWRP relative to one of the two coils).  But there's no way to guarantee the screw coil will be the one.  If you get them all from SD or something, they can help you get it right... otherwise you may have to take a stab in the dark.  I'd say assume they're the same across manufacturers (probably a 75% chance) and if you whiff, you can exchange the offending pickup or something.

oooooooo i was thinking of that exact combo for my next W build!! it would just piss the traditionalists right off, wouldn't it?  :hello2:

i also thought about the wiring a bit, and decided (personal opinion here) that instead of a five-way switch i would use seperate mini on/off switches for each PUP. however, i change pickups regularly, so it could prove tricky...

i was also thinking (since its probably going to be a high-end build) of using a covered single tele neck pickup in the middle, and a chrome soapbar. just for a classy look. i'm giving away all my secrets now  :redflag: but yeah, i totally agree that it would look cool. please post pics when you're done  :laughing7:

and on the hum issue, i have aSD JB and single coil Phat cat in my first W build. the phat cat doesnt really buzz that much at all, and the JB of course doesn't at all. when combined, the buzz is about half as much as the phat cat by itself.

I was thinking of a les paul type switch & single volume for the bridge and neck, together with a separate volume for the center. To split the the HB I was thinking of a three-way rotary switch, that should handle the choice of any coil or both. Might prove too much of a hassle to get from one state to the other though...

A chrome tele in the center is certainly not a bad idea, it will really look good. Watch out with those secrets  :icon_biggrin:

There won't be much pics soon, must find money etc.... I hope to get things ready for the end of fall.

cheers,
Daniel

Back