H-S-S with coil split

eiopago

Hello,

I`d like to know how to accomplish this in my next strat.
I have bought a Dimarzio air norton (i will use it for the bridge), area 58 and area 61.
my questions are :

1 - which pots should i use if i want 2 tones and 1 volume (500k for volume and 2 250k for tone)?
2 - how can i coil split the humbucker with a mini switch?
3 - does coil splitting mean that the guitar will work as S-S-S when the splitting is on and H-S-S when it`s off

i`m sure you`ll understand i`m a bit confused.

thanks a lot in advance

marco

also, another question that i have is:

is it possible to use a 3 ways mini switch to do this:

position 1 to select the coil of the humbucker closer to the neck
position 2 to select both coils of the humbucker (basically use this position to make the humbucker work as a normal one)
position 3 to select the coil of the humbucker closer to the bridge

does this make sense?

marco

This is the diagram to not use a separate switch - the humbucker splits automatically when in the '4' position.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1h_2s_1v_2t_5w_as

The pots should all be at least 500k - Dimarzio recommends 500k or higher with the Area series anyhow.

To use a mini switch to split the HB, http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1h_2s_1v_2t_5w_split
That schematic shows the switch as part of a push-pull pot. If you get a DPST switch you'll see that the wiring of it is identical though.

In your case, remember, the area pickups are not actually single coils - they are humbuckers acting like single coils. So, when you split the norton, you'll really have HHS - and the "single" will be noisy and weaker than the other two pickups.

Last question: Yes, but you won't notice any difference really. In any case, I predict you won't ever use the air norton split by itself, on a guitar where you've got two great noiseless strat pickups already. I would go with a series switch or even a phase switch on that setup if you want some different sounds.

Actually now that I think about it I'm not sure how you would do that last wiring unless you want the two coils to be always either split or in parallel, which is not what you want.

hey tfarny,

thanks for the reply.

it`s all clear on the area 58 and 61 as being humbucker and not true single coils and using 500k pots for them.
all clear about the air norton sounding weaker that the "single coils" if split.

as regards my second question, I thought it was just a matter of putting a on/off/on switch to select the north, south and both coils but your second answer puzzled me.
why, technically, would I get the two coils to be always either split or in parallel ?

I spent a few minutes trying to figure it out, not sure it's possible to get: 1) N only, 2) both series, 3) S only from just one DPDT switch - you've only got a certain number of contacts on that switch. You could of course easily get 2) both parallel, but that's not going to be the humbucker sound you wanted. Go ahead and try to diagram it out, I could be wrong of course. There is also not going to be much, if ANY, audible difference between the two coils, my guess.

Edit: no, it cannot be done.

does this make sense or am i completely wrong?

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD1H10_03/Guitar_Wiring_Diagram_1_Humbucker1_VolumePull_for_South_Single_Coil.html

I don't get that one - if south finish goes to output, then north start and north finish also go to output. Does that mean they cancel each other out? Confusing.
Hmm, a puzzle to be worked on (but I have lots of real work to do!)

You can use an on/on/on mini switch to set the HB to parallel coils/split coil/coils in series, it's on the SD web site and diagram comes in the box with an SD SC form factor HB like the JBJr.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=6166.0

OK,

I think you all convinced me to go with an on/on/on switch and do something like jackthehack  did.
Now I need to buy a black korina body, wenge neck and the pots from our beloved Warmoth and get working when it gets shipped (I`m in London UK).
I will place the order as soon as Monday.

thank you very much and I`ll let you know how it goes.

Marco

Back