H-E-L-P

for 2 reasons.
1.  The Warmoth site says it has to be...
2.  Because the non-recessed trem sits high enough off the body to require an angled neck pocket.  I suppose you could use a non angled neck pocket, but the action would be really high at the bottom of the neck.

The neck pocket doesn't have to be angled, but it's best if it is. It's as riverbluff said, the bridge sits a lot higher on the body(not because Warmoth says so) than a flat mount bridge obviously.Therefore the neck pocket should be at a 2 deg angle, same senario with a stop tail as on a LP except a stop tail needs a bit steeper angle. As I said though it doesn't have to have an angled pocket. You can shim the neck, an most likely you'll have to shim the nut also. I've already been thru this dilemma with my Cherry Tele.. :doh:

I built four guitars with recessed floyds, By the time I adjusted the floyd for the correct action, they were at the level of the top of the body.  So I am also confused about any neck pocket angle as this would raise the bridge even further.

So myself, I'd be afraid to add any neck pocket angle to the body, If you have to shim, I'd rather shim the "butt" of the neck than the front

Alfang said:
I built four guitars with recessed floyds, By the time I adjusted the floyd for the correct action, they were at the level of the top of the body.  So I am also confused about any neck pocket angle as this would raise the bridge even further.

So myself, I'd be afraid to add any neck pocket angle to the body, If you have to shim, I'd rather shim the "butt" of the neck than the front
Not being sarcastic, but you've built 4 guitars with "recessed Floyds". There is a difference, the recess is the reason you didn't need to have an angled pocket on your builds. If the bridge is to be a non-recessed Floyd it is preferred that the pocket be angled for correct string action...Shimming is an option, and works just fine, but I'd rather have the angle.

i want the bridge sit flush to the body...  now i have to shim it at the front .. man it look not cool at all... (with small visible gap)

next time no angle pocket for me... 

brownsound79 said:
i want the bridge sit flush to the body...   now i have to shim it at the front .. man it look not cool at all... (with small visible gap)

next time no angle pocket for me...   
You shouldn't have any issues with the bridge sitting flush to the body. Like I said, I have several non-recessed floyds and all but one have angled neck pockets, and actually the one without the angled neck pocket was the worst one to set up..And the bridge isn't flush with the body...So I don't see why you're having such a dilemma... :dontknow:

We need pics.. :icon_biggrin:

I just had them do an angled pocket on mine for a Kahler.  Its a no brainer.  It is a no cost option and make the action a lot better.  When I first heard angled...I was worried.  I spoke to the techs and the angle is somthing like 2-3 degrees

Back