guy gave me a black walnut tree

Bill in SC

It's still standing and about 4 feet in diameter. I need to figure out how to cut it to maximize the potential in it. Then I need to figure out how to cure it for stability. So much to do... so little time...
BB in SC

i got an idea, send me a piece about the size of a body blank, i will gladly pay the shipping.

Guy gave it to me over two years ago, and I haven't taken it down yet. It is within 1/2 mile of my house. I need to get it before he changes his mind or someone else gets it. It's pretty huge. It will be no problem getting it down, but I would need a loader to get it loaded up and to a saw mill. Most of our hardwoods here in the south have hollows and bad spots in them due to our humidity and insects, but this one appears pretty solid. I really need to make a move on it somehow. I'll try and post a pic of it tomorrow. I tell you walnut is getting scarcer and scarcer around here. I have a pretty nice one growing here in my yard but it's not quite big enough yet to harvest. I do have about 100 seedlings I need to pot up to sell
BB in SC

Quartersawn is the traditional cut used for neck strength, but the most cost-efficient use of all the wood results in both quarter and flatsawn wood pieces. If you think of a bamboo mat rolled up, that's how you'd cut it for flatsawn wood, if you think of spokes on a wheel, that'd be quartersawn. I'm not sure how much of the distinction isn't a holdover from days with poor and/or non-existent trussrod designs. If you want walnut laminates for body tops, it'd be a different cut entirely than for strength. It'd probably be worth it to find a guitar builder or at least a hardwood reseller and pay him to at least look at that specific tree and advise you, they'd almost surely take payment in some slabs. I believe the important aging comes after it's cut, but you might even find a builder who will set aside a primo board for you for a few years down the road, age it in his shop and cut it in return for some wood.

I would highly suggest that you contact a local mom & pop type sawmill and ask this same question to them. they should also have suggestions on sources to contact for downing the tree and preparing it for delivery to their mill (if they don't also do this themselves)

you might end up paying around $1/bf to have all the work done ... or if you don't need that much Walnut you might be able to work a deal and split the wood with them in exchange for their services.

if you don't have experience in preparing wood for milling, or in milling the wood yourself it will be real easy to quickly turn this bounty into a pile of firewood

all the best,

R

I agree with SkuttleFunk about contacting a mom&pop type sawmill. Big sawmills won't touch a log if they even think it was a "backyard" tree. They can't afford to cut into any nails ect.  Another thing to consider is to hook up with a gunsmith or custom gun maker. They love walnut and may split the cost with you for milling to get some good gunstock wood.

Here is the tree.
2265470Walnuttree.JPG

Bill in SC

No flak and I fully understand. However, this tree is at an old, long gone home place, surrounded 360 degrees by cotton fields. Once again, if I don't move on it, someone else eventually will. I plant trees every year, and I try and manage our forest appropriately. I would never cut a specimen tree, unless there was good reason. Please do consider that this is a fully mature tree, and from this point on, it will deteriorate anyhow. It already has some bad spots in it as it is.
Bill in SC

Plus if you cut it right, you can collect insurance on that truck!

Blasphemy guitlouie!! I ain't hurtin' my prized Toyota!!  :) BTW: I thought about you concerning this tree since I guess we are the closest forumees.
BB in SC

hey, I might be interested in a couple 8/4 boards late this year. I should be just up the road a piece in Charlotte.

Maybe we could work a trade ... a couple boards in exchange for a body of your choice?

all the best,

R

Absolutely SF. lemme see if I can get the proceedings started on the removal of it. First thing I need to do is contact the land owner again and make sure we are still on the same page. been a couple of years since he gave it to me. Then I will get up with a local saw guy and see if he can come get it and mill it for us. Do you live in Charlotte? I am 90 miles from there and come to the Double Door occasionally.
BB

With all this great advice you've gotten, you can just pay us advisors with some boards too....  :toothy10: :hello2: :blob7: :hello2: :blob7: :hello2: :toothy10:

Well ol' stub ol' pal, I was not soliciting advice. :) When I start talking like I'm trying to figure out something, all that usually means is that I am procrastinating. I'm a hell of a chain saw man as I cut all my firewood each year. Don't think I don't appreciate the advice though!  :)  I basically started the thread for the "lookie what I got" effect! However, if I can pull it off, I'm sure some of you folks will end up with some nice SC black walnut for a body. There's probably enough wood in that tree to gift numerous blanks and still end up with a couple of grand.
BB in SC

hey Bill,

not quite in Charlotte just yet ... once our house sells here in Seattle we'll be on our way to the Queen City. I'm relocating for work, and this gives me the excuse to build a new shop (one that will accommodate a nice multi-axis CNC  :blob7: )

all the best,

R

Let me know when you get there! The Double Door Inn is one of the oldest blues bars in the country. They have some great acts there. We'll get together and catch a show. Man, I look forward to that CNC action!! Congrats!
BB in SC

Back