Guitar Stand Advice - Not as simple as it sounds!

ControlFreak

I need a stand for my guitars, but it's going to be tricky. Here's a picture I posted elsewhere of what I have ...

myguitars.jpg

So that's the first issue .. Flying V, Explorer(ish), and Warlock aren't very stand-friendly shapes.

The second issue is that my SG was damaged by a wall hanger that reacted badly to the finish, so I'd like to feel safe about the stand. Here's a pic of what happened:

sgdamage2.jpg

There's also a Cort Curbow bass that would go in the stand, and I have plans to build a guitar or four over the next 2 years.

Thanks in advance,
CF

Angled wall hangers, maybe.

Or, build your own stands, shaped for each guitar, and have some cloth covering the parts the guitars touch.

I have no wall space, so hangers won't work for me. In fact, I have very little space, so I'm hoping for one stand that can handle all of the guitars.

My wife just reminded me that we're buying my daughter a 3/4 scale guitar (Ibanez Mikro) for her birthday in a few months, so add that to the list.

CF

What type of material caused the damage to the finish?
I'd make sure, you know this already, to get a stand that has a different lining.

Musicians friend for example has some multi guitar floor racks, with a black neoprene type lining. the hangars I use have that material and I've never had issues with my finishes. I have 3 gibby's so it should be the same type of finish.

The stands i'm talking about are similar to what you see on the side of the stage at a big rock show...guitars in a rack like this |\ \ \ \ \|
Fender makes a cool one that is in the shape of a guitar case and you open it and viola there's a 5 guitar stand!

MUYFUE said:
What type of material caused the damage to the finish?
It was some sort of rubber that interacted with the nitro

I'd make sure, you know this already, to get a stand that has a different lining.

Musicians friend for example has some multi guitar floor racks, with a black neoprene type lining. the hangars I use have that material and I've never had issues with my finishes. I have 3 gibby's so it should be the same type of finish.

The stands i'm talking about are similar to what you see on the side of the stage at a big rock show...guitars in a rack like this |\ \ \ \ \|
That is pretty much what I'm thinking of .. but I'm worried about the Flying V and Explorer (and to a lesser extent, Warlock) shapes on those stands.

Fender makes a cool one that is in the shape of a guitar case and you open it and viola there's a 5 guitar stand!

See above inside the quote

CF

Shouldn't be a problem. Try elevating it some if you want clearance for the warlock's butt.

We were discussing this a few weeks ago ( how to protect guitars from toxic stand rubber ) here:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=9480.msg125456#msg125456

This is awesome, I have a V, an Explorer and a Warlock too!

I use hangers at home and individual stands live. All of them are easy on the "traditional" single guitar stand.

Since I don't use one, This is all assumption:
On the multi-rack, the explorer should just lean over on the back wing, inwards toward the back of the stand.
The Warlock should pivot a bit on the bottom point.
The V will be a slight issue becaue to rest on the neck support, it needs to lean over quite a bit. it may be a bit too wide to fit in upright, though.

What I might do is to hit a local music store and take a look at the displays. Move some guits around to see how it'll be for your application, before you buy anything.

I use the "Hercules" brand stands for my Explorer.  Holds it by the neck, seems safe and sturdy to me, and nothing on it that would dissolve or discolor the finish.

Thanks for everyone who gave advice in this thread. I'll be checking out that thread, the multi-rack, and the hercules stands.

CF

Wall hangers ONLY for home use.
If you are not in the process of using a guitar, PUT IT AWAY IN IT'S CASE.
Sure, it looks cool but those floor stands are an accident waiting to happen.
Plus, it keeps guests from just picking up your guitar without asking.

During a gig, I use one of those stands without the neck extension and
back the stand to my amp. If it's a short amp, I use a bungee cord to secure
guitar from falling forward. Between sets, put it back in the case!

Any guitar worth keeping is worth protecting...

Just my $0.02 - mileage may vary..... and is not availible in all states.
See dealer for details....

I have this. You can get one that take 8 guitars to. I have a Fender, Martin, Warmoth and other guitars and it have not left any marks on the guitars.
It is a Boston stand.
DSC00116.jpg

Jommit said:
I have this. You can get one that take 8 guitars to. I have a Fender, Martin, Warmoth and other guitars and it have not left any marks on the guitars.
It is a Boston stand.
DSC00116.jpg

Jebus that looks dangerous! :eek:

vic108 said:
Wall hangers ONLY for home use.
If you are not in the process of using a guitar, PUT IT AWAY IN IT'S CASE.
Sure, it looks cool but those floor stands are an accident waiting to happen.
Plus, it keeps guests from just picking up your guitar without asking.

During a gig, I use one of those stands without the neck extension and
back the stand to my amp. If it's a short amp, I use a bungee cord to secure
guitar from falling forward. Between sets, put it back in the case!

Any guitar worth keeping is worth protecting...

Just my $0.02 - mileage may vary..... and is not availible in all states.
See dealer for details....
As it is now, I've taken over one side of the living room with music gear. I'm kinda riding the edge between "cool area" and "eyesore" with my wife, but guitars would go over better than the guitar cases are right now. 2 hard guitar-shaped cases, 2 big rectangle cases, and 2 soft cases aren't cutting it in the living room. A nice stand with 6 beautiful (in my opinion) instruments would smooth things over.

CouchSpud said:
Jommit said:
It is a Boston stand.

Jebus that looks dangerous! :eek:
I was a little concerned if it was stable enough, but I could put all my concerns to rest when I got it and started to hang my guitars on it.

Jommit said:
It is a Boston stand.
DSC00116.jpg

Plus, in december, you can hang lights on it and have a guitar tree!

The thing that concerns me with that Boston stand is that if there is an accident--no matter how remote the posibility--its going to be a major one.  Like the difference between a bus crash and a passenger car.  You lose everything at once.

Living in a smallish apartment, I can sympathize on the running out of room angle with all the guitar cases laying around.  I keep all my guitars in cases, all the time (unless I'm actually playing it of course.)  I stash them under beds and in closets and pull them out as I use them.  A little inconvenient, but safe.

When I was a kid taking lessons in the early 1980's my guitar instructor played his original 1950's Gibson hollowbody he bought new back in the day.  I was always fascinated with that guitar.  He was adamant about using the case every time, and he really drilled that into my head.  He said you had to respect the guitar, and part of that was properly taking care of it--in a case!

And just to show how careful you have to be.  Even though I always use a case, the only problem I've ever had was when I left my 1960 Les Paul Jr with my brother on long term loan.  Sure enough, it "mysteriously" fell off the stand and cracked the headstock.  He is a professional musician and should have known better, yet it happened none the less.  Thats why I am so adamant about it too now.

If I could, I think I'd nail some cases to the wall. That'd both look cool and be a safe place to put your guitars, unless you want them on display.

I feel a Idea coming on.........

Back