Guitar Snobs

Both of those chicks have better taste in guitars than most of you on this board!!!!! :icon_jokercolor:

Great Ape said:
I put a Gibson logo on one of my Strats and it immediately
fattened-up the sound of them weeny single-coil pickups!! :evil4:

That works, of course. But, you don't have to suffer wimpy pickups. They make replacements that are not so wee, and the more you pay for them, the better they sound. There are pickups out there that go for hundreds of dollars that will make you play/sound exactly like [insert hero here]. You don't think Steve Vai got to where he is by practicing, do you?

Katy-Perry-handling-a-guitar.png

If she sent me that picture, with no other information, name, age, location... just the message

"I will steal all your guitars, crush your soul and squeeze the life out of your body!"

I would be, like, "See ya in 15 minutes!"

What the hell's wrong with kids today....

Capo on 1 is kinda her trademark. I don't get it, why not just do everything in E?

I even chatted to her live guitarist once (62 Jazzmaster in white - it's gorgeous) and he said the same thing. So much of it is in F, Bb, C# and so on.

I hardly use capos, but whenever I do I feel like I'm looking into a world of so many possibilities it freaks me out. And I have to run away again, back to the safe world of EADGBE.

Capos do make things sound differently, though I can't imagine using one constantly.  Albert Collins used a capo all his life, and the reason I say I can't imagine it is the way it tightens up the strings and prevents them from being bent.  That man must've had mega strong fingers and wrists.

The way Keith Richards uses one is a bit closer to passive...he's just a strummer when he uses one.

Jumble Jumble said:
Re the pic above: she does knee slides on stage quite a bit. If it's a festival gig then I'd bet that's how it happened.

Excellent long post up there by the way. Great stuff.

Jumble Jumble said:
If, when hearing a song, someone needs to research the circumstances of its production to check whether it meets all their "musicianship" criteria before they can decide if they like it or not, [...]

Of course, I'm not suggesting that's what happens. What actually happens, as supported by scientific evidence, is one of the following two things (with everything, not just music):

- person hears music
- person likes music
- person continues to listen to this music when possible
- the end

- person hears music
- person dislikes music
- person becomes aware that other people do like the music
- natural insecurity causes conflict in person's mind - how can they dislike something others like?
- person cannot leave it at "some people do, some people don't, I am simply one of the latter"
- person seeks to justify opinion to show that they are "right" and others are wrong
- person focuses in on an element of the music that is different to most music they like
- person claims this difference makes the music they dislike objectively "worse"
- person resolves conflict in mind; feels balance is restored and that their tastes are "correct"
- later music that sounds similar is automatically seen as "bad" for the reasons already decided

Only people who are aware of their brain's tendency to trick them in this way move outside of it and remove their self-imposed limits on what they can and can't like.

And now for the first lines of the first song of Katy Perry's first album, demonstrating beyond doubt how it's all about being sexy:

I saw a spider I didn't scream/'cos I can belch the alphabet just double dog dare me

The funny thing is, first there was an accusation that these people didn't play any instruments. When it was pointed out that yes, actually, they do, the argument was changed to "they don't play them properly". I guess Madonna and KP are not true Scotsmen eh? And as has been said - they're vocalists! Is Mick Jagger not a musician? Placido Domingo?

When it was pointed out that these people do write their songs, it was asserted that they only write the lyrics. Well, wrong again, but who cares eh? Just keep shouting.

None of the questions I've asked have been answered, none of the points I've raised have been addressed. It's like Internet Argument For Dummies in here, why bother continuing when you're up again who just wants to type "IT SUCKS" over and over again until everyone agrees.

LMAO!!!

It's amazing that you think you can psychoanalyze someone over the Internet.

Katy is NOT a real guitar player. It's more of a stage prop. It's more eye-candy.

I suppose you like Justin Bieber too; a kid who's popularity rests on his "cuteness", not musicianship, and the fact that the music business can cash in on sales to adolescent and teenaged girls. Hey, Justin "plays guitar" too. I saw a video of him singing a song called "One Less Lonely Girl" where he played guitar. He played TWO chords throughout the ENTIRE song.

That does NOT make a "guitar player" in my book.

Bottom Line: Sex sells and Cuteness sells, and you are obviously part of their consumer base.

Yeah, I have always loved the styling of Fender guitars, and the tones produced by them on famous records, but as others have stated, I too have never had one that I didn't have to modify to suit my preferences. That's the beauty of Warmoth. You can have it your way.

Amazing. All that and you just basically come back with "IT STILL SUCKS", with some thinly veiled personal insults (I'm so stupid I buy things totally based on marketing). Every post of yours makes exactly the same points again, responds to nothing, and refuses to look at anything from any other point of view.

You're still missing the point that the pleasure of listening to a piece of music is separate from whether the name on the record cover is the same as the name of the person who wrote and performed all the music therein.

I wasn't analysing you, did you even read it? It's jus how the human brain works.

No, Bieber's not to my taste, although he's a very talented kid. Haven't seen him play guitar but he's impressive on the drums.

Know who Doctor Luke is? I mean, you've obviously done your homework on this whole field so his name will have come up. Guy's not a musician either, I guess.

Do you realise that many classical musicians probably consider all your favourite artists "not real musicians" and think their music "sucks" too? Are they right? If not, why not?

I could tell you until I'm blue in the face that me liking pop has nothing to do with sex, but nothing will ever change, because the only thing you're prepared to listen to is your own voice, reinforcing your own opinion, over and over again.

So fine. You're "right" about a completely subjective field. Well done, give yourself a cookie. You've won.

Altar said:
This is assuming the person is normal, not an old man obsessed with guitars, and wrapped up in how much better an instrument he can make than anyone else.

Hit me harder, Grandpa! :icon_biggrin:
Ok, even as a spectator, im getting annoyed. You are on a guitar building forum. When people build guitars, they try to make a better instrument than everybody else. That's the point of a custom guitar. And really, you are 13. Get over yourself. There is so much i want to say, but chill out. We know you buy name brand things because of the name brand. Just like almost every other 13 year old ive ever known.

Goddam, I just spent ALL that time and Herculean EFFORT (I'm charging by the word from now on) explaining in excruciating detail using evidence I hardly made up at all much why you're ALLOWED to hear a really great, once-in-a-generation musical genius; and not really like it much. And why you're ALLOWED to hear an entertainer who may-or-may-not be the finest persona-construction manager of all time, and may not even play guitar as fast as Herman Li, and either likee, or not likee. And you're still at it like Pebbles & Bam-Bam.

When was I still in zit/twit-land, there were only two kind of guitarists in the world. Those who thought John McLaughlin was an incredible visionary genius who could tear a hole in the wall of the universe just to play with the creepy-crawlys for a while and that Pat Metheny sucked goose eggs; and those who thought John McLaughlin played soulless, randomized notes "like a machine gun" (Zappa* said it not me) and that Pat Metheny was an incredible visionary genius who infused jazz guitar with humanistic Americana influence to construct blah-de-blah blah. I can grant that he was a great visionary; Americana didn't even exist until 20 years later and Metheny was recording background music albums for fern bars and wine bars that wouldn't need 'em for another decade. Not that I had any opinion about it;

But it's O.K. It's OK... okee-doky affirmative ten-four good booby,

yOU dON'T hAVE tO lIKE shite eVEn iF iT'S gReAt!

There is an enforceable-by-death internet LAW pertaining to politics called "Godwin's Rule", which states:
"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1/1."

And it is WAY past time for the exact same law pertaining to music called
"The Beiber Rule" which states that:
"Anytime someone uses the Beiber-word on a music forum it's time for the Chinese to fire the secret chip they stick into every computer on Earth which fires a 1000-volt pulse into the criminal's monitor causing it to explode in their face."

It works a lot  better on the old cathode ray ones - them glass shreds could peel the criminal's face right off! These new ones, it's more like getting slapped with bubble-wrap.

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/MahavishnuOrchestra1972-08-23ChateaullonFrance.asx

*(Frank Zappa could be surprisingly bitchy about guitarists who either made more money or played better than him.)

Jumble Jumble said:
Amazing. All that and you just basically come back with "IT STILL SUCKS", with some thinly veiled personal insults (I'm so stupid I buy things totally based on marketing). Every post of yours makes exactly the same points again, responds to nothing, and refuses to look at anything from any other point of view.

You're still missing the point that the pleasure of listening to a piece of music is separate from whether the name on the record cover is the same as the name of the person who wrote and performed all the music therein.

I wasn't analysing you, did you even read it? It's jus how the human brain works.

No, Bieber's not to my taste, although he's a very talented kid. Haven't seen him play guitar but he's impressive on the drums.

Know who Doctor Luke is? I mean, you've obviously done your homework on this whole field so his name will have come up. Guy's not a musician either, I guess.

Do you realise that many classical musicians probably consider all your favourite artists "not real musicians" and think their music "sucks" too? Are they right? If not, why not?

I could tell you until I'm blue in the face that me liking pop has nothing to do with sex, but nothing will ever change, because the only thing you're prepared to listen to is your own voice, reinforcing your own opinion, over and over again.

So fine. You're "right" about a completely subjective field. Well done, give yourself a cookie. You've won.

If you were really as "intelligent" as you try to portray yourself here, you wouldn't be an adult who loves music geared toward teenagers and adolescents. It's funny how bent out-of-shape people can get about this topic.

I'm a musician and a music lover. The music business is not about music, it is about MONEY. They cater to the simple-minded. You are the type of person that helps to keep the music business IN business.

StubHead said:
Goddam, I just spent ALL that time and Herculean EFFORT (I'm charging by the word from now on) explaining in excruciating detail using evidence I hardly made up at all much why you're ALLOWED to hear a really great, once-in-a-generation musical genius; and not really like it much. And why you're ALLOWED to hear an entertainer who may-or-may-not be the finest persona-construction manager of all time, and may not even play guitar as fast as Herman Li, and either likee, or not likee. And you're still at it like Pebbles & Bam-Bam.

When was I still in zit/twit-land, there were only two kind of guitarists in the world. Those who thought John McLaughlin was an incredible visionary genius who could tear a hole in the wall of the universe just to play with the creepy-crawlys for a while and that Pat Metheny sucked goose eggs; and those who thought John McLaughlin played soulless, randomized notes "like a machine gun" (Zappa* said it not me) and that Pat Metheny was an incredible visionary genius who infused jazz guitar with humanistic Americana influence to construct blah-de-blah blah. I can grant that he was a great visionary; Americana didn't even exist until 20 years later and Metheny was recording background music albums for fern bars and wine bars that wouldn't need 'em for another decade. Not that I had any opinion about it;

But it's O.K. It's OK... okee-doky affirmative ten-four good booby,

yOU dON'T hAVE tO lIKE shitee eVEn iF iT'S gReAt!

There is an enforceable-by-death internet LAW pertaining to politics called "Godwin's Rule", which states:
"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1/1."

And it is WAY past time for the exact same law pertaining to music called
"The Beiber Rule" which states that:
"Anytime someone uses the Beiber-word on a music forum it's time for the Chinese to fire the secret chip they stick into every computer on Earth which fires a 1000-volt pulse into the criminal's monitor causing it to explode in their face."

It works a lot  better on the old cathode ray ones - them glass shreds could peel the criminal's face right off! These new ones, it's more like getting slapped with bubble-wrap.

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/MahavishnuOrchestra1972-08-23ChateaullonFrance.asx

*(Frank Zappa could be surprisingly bitchy about guitarists who either made more money or played better than him.)

You're killing me.  :laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing7: :icon_biggrin: :toothy12:

Ok. I'll say it. I like The Bangles' "Walk Like an Egyptian".

Exploding-Head-525x350.jpg

In related news, tragedy strikes the Unreal Warmoth forum Saturday evening...

This man is not a musician:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOfC9LfR3PI&feature=related

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

ClassicMetalMatt said:
And really, you are 13. Get over yourself. There is so much i want to say, but chill out. We know you buy name brand things because of the name brand. Just like almost every other 13 year old ive ever known.

I have obscure guitars that I love. But they don't look like Fenders or gibsons, etc.

Altar said:
I have obscure guitars that I love. But they don't look like Fenders or gibsons, etc.
Ok, you are still 13, and you have numbers of guitars, which for a person at your age and gigging frequency, are definitely un-needed. Still get over yourself. Im 16, i payed for my 3 guitars. I dont get uppity when people disagree or question my opinions. Lets be real here, this is an online forum, we all could use a chill pill.(even me to some extent)

ClassicMetalMatt said:
Altar said:
Ok, you are still 13, and you have numbers of guitars, which for a person at your age and gigging frequency, are definitely un-needed. Still get over yourself. Im 16, i payed for my 3 guitars. I dont get uppity when people disagree or question my opinions. Lets be real here, this is an online forum, we all could use a chill pill.(even me to some extent)
They aren't my guitars. I have 2, one which I payed for, and 1 that I'm working on (problem strat.) The rest of what I refer to as my guitars are my dads, and I won't have access to them in 5 years.

Gigging frequency?

Apologies for being arrogant, I hope I haven't made anyone mad. I had a rough past couple days. It's that online anonymity thing, I haven't been thinking.

Back