Guitar Snobs

Dan0 said:
as it turns out lady gaga is a talented pianist and many pop idols do have a musical talent, but i don't know if that should make everyone a fan of the material they record and sell to the public. some people like pop, some don't. musician vs entertainer.. really who cares. i thought this thread was about guitars...
Absolutely right. If someone's talented, doesn't mean you have to like their stuff. And if you don't like someone's stuff, doesn't mean they're not talented. It's not rocket science.

Oh and the other thing: even if these people weren't musicians, didn't write their songs, couldn't play any instruments, and were miming lyrics performed by other people through autotune and hiding backstage, none of that affects whether or not hearing the actual music is an enjoyable experience or not.

If, when hearing a song, someone needs to research the circumstances of its production to check whether it meets all their "musicianship" criteria before they can decide if they like it or not, I'd suggest it's not the music they like at all, but the feeling of superiority that comes from knowing they like something that's produced in their preferred way. If that's not snobbery, I don't know what is.

Look, she's not even in first position:

Katy-Perry-handling-a-guitar.png

Dan0 said:
as it turns out lady gaga is a talented pianist and many pop idols do have a musical talent, but i don't know if that should make everyone a fan of the material they record and sell to the public. some people like pop, some don't. musician vs entertainer.. really who cares. i thought this thread was about guitars...

That's my point. This thread IS about guitars, and then someone makes a post about how they just love pop music performed by non-guitar players and non-musicians, sending the thread off-topic, to which I couldn't resist commenting.

Jumble Jumble said:
and simple-minded adults who's brains become overloaded when exposed to really good and creative music.
How do you explain the fact that I like music you think is good AND music you think sucks then?

Street Avenger said:
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Katie and Madonna are songwriters, and do play instruments.  Maybe not well or on stage.  If I play an instrument well, but don't write songs, am I a musician?

Writing lyrics does not make someone a song-writer or musician. I guarantee neither of them have ever written the music to any of their songs, and no, neither of them play a musical instrument
Well, that's completely wrong as Katy (note spelling) Perry had a record deal based entirely on Christian songs she wrote and played on acoustic guitar well before she was famous (she was called Katy Hudson back then). Honestly, the fact that you hate somebody's musical output does not make you an expert on their entire life history. I've stood in front of her and watched her play guitar for Christ's sake. Surely if you hate it all so much you must realise that your avoidance of ever hearing anything about it is unlikely to give you a full insight?

(sorry, the skin-flute doesn't count as a musical instrument)
aaaand now we're just into disgusting misogyny. Way to lose the argument.

---

In the end who cares. You are the sort of person who proclaims your opinion is "right" (at one point literally using the word "FACT" to introduce your opinion), which is at best frightfully naive, and at worst outright offensive. I am happy knowing that I don't have to justify anything to you and your prejudices.

Misogyny?? Hardly. It was just a joke, and quite fitting since all of those female "entertainers" mentioned are sleazy as hell, and that is the number one reason they've achieved any success in the music business. Katie Perry, a guitar player??  Give me a break. I'm sure she'll inspire a ton of future guitar players, huh?    :laughing11: Anyone can learn to strum a few chords. That is not where her success comes from. It comes from sex and sleaze, plain & simple. Five years from now, no one will even remember her. Good music has longevity.

The reasons people like or dislike certain kinds of music aren't complicated, in my mind. Whether you parents listened to and played music is huge, as is whether you have early musical training that would expose you to some degree of classical music. But surely the largest charge-up comes when you hit around seventh grade, and rejecting other people's music become sporting and most important, learning from peers what is "supposed" to be great music. If you didn't go to college, it's likely that the biggest period of imprinting was done with at 18, college will likely stretch it out several more years. I read a ridiculous fact a few years back, but ridiculous only in it's exactitude. And that was, that 94% of the people tested were done deciding what to listen to by the age of 24, and that all the "new" music they like was just a retread of what the had decided upon - can anyone pretend that Joss Stone and Grace Potter are new? 

But regardless of the causes and timing of that, people do have an emotional centerpoint, lifeview, interpretation, whatever you want to call it - a center frequency. It's impossible to separate out the nature/nurture, wholly-identical twins separated at birth with one raised in an atmosphere of poverty, pain and danger and the other raise in comfort and advantage are irrevocably different people biologically by the age of ten, but with some still amazing synchronicities.. People are melancholy, or happy, or angry, or stupefied - obviously, human traits are on a continuum and mishmash together. And, I do think that you become what you DO.

Besides your center frequency, there is also your bandwidth or "Q." How much variance from your center frequency do you deviate? On an even keel, all over the map, do you have certain "islands" way off your path that you occasionally snap to because they came up in your formative periods and became comfortable, even though they might seem "out-of-character" to an ahistoric observer....

And musicians, or at least the persona they have chosen to project through their work, ALSO HAVE A CENTER FREQUENCY AND BANDWIDTH. Gee, do you just suppose that peeps would listen to, ummm..... Like, you might pride yourself on listening to Neil Young because he's a rebel and a rocker and a visionary and has such a precious guitar sound, but nobody would classify Neil Young as a "funner than a polka!" and you actually listen to him because you're a depressed old sourpuss. Pop music of the radio form has usually been bubbly and happy, about having fun, except for that brief period where rock music WAS pop music. Katy Perry is bubbly and happy, mostly, with the exceptions of the rare "The One Who Got Away" or "I don't want to be you fudging mother" variety; but, we remember, any and all product may be calculated. And in pop music, very much so - the expression of emotional anguish is a calculated science, and true sincerity is the most marketable quality of all.

And I say "these days" noting that from 1960 to 1962, the Beatles had to learned to play GOOD in some really tough G.I. bars in Hamburg, Germany, in some really tough circumstances, they were living on cheap speed & drinking like fish, at one point they were even "sleeping" (ahem) in a whorehouse... and in 1962, they moved back to England with a savage glint in their sound, grew out their adorable moptops and began to drizzle out insipid pop songs* like "I Want to Hold Your Hand." and "Love-Me-Do." You want to hold her WHAT?!?

And it WORKED, boy did it ever, they were a band with an exceptionally wide "Q", in fact you could say their later music was all over the map. It helped to have three different talented and Hamburg-schooled songwriters, as well as being four cute guys in EXACTLY the right place at EXACTLY the right time. Goddamn... it shoulda been ME in that real fine car!

One of the most common observations about music about which you know nothing is that "it all sounds a!ike!" And it does - because you know nothing about it. The music critics hated the first two Led Zeppelin albums, because it all sounded alike. Then they hated Led Zeppelin III and even remained tepid about IV, because "they didn't sound like Led Zeppelin should." Another band with a very wide "Q" (Mr. Page was known to do a bit of calculating, himself). And what is certainly the most enduring band of the sixties? The all-over-the map Beatles! And what is the most enduring band of the seventies? Pink Floyd! Because it all sounds alike and we were all smoking cheap Mexican cack-pot that turned you retarded instead of getting you high.

There's a bit more to it, such as that for a extremely lucky group of people in a quite short period of time, there were some ridiculous amounts of over-payment to do what most people still think looks like a blast. And they were definitely not ALL selected for astonishing talents of any sort, rather some were fantastically lucky enough and just barely smart enough to "give the people what they want" at a unique intersection of recording technology, radio broadcasting technology, instrument and amplification tech, birth control pills & even funner drugs, social transformations, the cresting wave of babies booming with disposable income, cars, and cresting hormones of their own. And as the last-rattle tail-end of the "star-system" is still inertia-ing along on fumes it is still necessary to anoint a new King and Queen of the Universe every few minutes. (did you know that all those rappers actually just lease their Rolls-Royces, zoot suits and even the diamonds in their teeth? :eek:)

So there now! It's all fixed and we can all get just get along!

All except for YOU, asshat....

I just don't care for owning an instrument that looks like a fender, but isn't. I like to put a fender logo on all my fenderesque guitars so people will say "thats the best sounding strat I've ever heard." Then i can say it's not a strat, and they don't believe me, so i leave it at that. And you feel a pride, with the reputation fender has, that they were impressed with your "strat."

If it looks like a fender, but isn't, people assume it's a cheap copy. There's a reason fender has such a long line of followers, of people who choose fenders over all other brands. And it's not because they're mediocre guitars. And you know what? I'll be the one to pull my head out of my ugly butt. I'll try a couple fender look-alikes.

On a side note, I'll soon be uploading pics of my strat neck project.

So let me just throw this out there...........I hate that a Warmoth LP is called a Les Paul. Wrong construction, wrong component locations, wrong scale blah blah blah. What makes it a Les Paul? I think a better discription would be a carved top single cut strat with a TOM. I would also like to say I listen to alot of different music for alot of different reasons. If you are looking for some credibility in bubble gum pop you are a fool for even trying to argue. The terms associated with musical acts are very subjective. What is a musician? The person who creates the music or the one that performs it? The voice is an instrument therfore a singer is a musician. A true music lover knows this and has actually felt this with vocalists like Etta James all the way to Adele. Just because you didn't write the song doesn't mean you aren't deserving of appreciation. There's a whole bunch of country stars that have writers and only strum a few chords yet they are given much more credit than Katy or Madonna. Why is this?

I'm reminded of a song................Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense and just cause you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good.

Tell 'em what's up Rocky!

and one more thing.......................... :headbang1:

Pabloman...remember the jukebox channel in the early 90s?  They used to play that song by Suicidal over and over.  They'de bleep out the rant and the '**** you'.  I always rolled over laughing when they did that.

Gonna have to disagree with you politely on the LP, though.  Yes, it has a scale length used by a stratocaster.  Dimensionally though, aside from a longer neck, I've got my new LP hanging next to my Gibson Les Paul Artist, and the body dimensions are pretty much the same. It feels like a Les Paul in my hands with a longer scale length, not a stratocaster.  If the scale length is what makes it a 'strat with a TOM' to you, then more power to ya, but I disagree.  ;)

Ok, I'm sure I'll get reamed for this BUT as I said I'm not a Madonna fan. I didn't say she wasn't talented. Just not my style. One album I do like is Amy Grant's Lead Me On. Yeah, I know it's Christian (basically).  But to me it's well engineered and the songs are well done. Just because she didn't write any of the music or play any instruments doesn't detract from the fact that I still like it and credit her for the accomplishment. Everybody likes and appreciates different music for different reasons. I do not like rap. Period. But I don't claim that those who do have no musical appreciation. It's all a matter of personal choice.

As StubHead posted recently....C'est la vie...

I have to throw this in there...I said I don't own any Fender that I didn't have to severely modify, and it's true, but there are two production units in Fender's history that I would probably just buy and drive, so to speak.

The Strat Ultra, that is one badarse guitar.
And the newer Blacktop Jazzmaster...best of both worlds.

So there are Fenders that I would own and not have to modify.  Good luck on the Strat Ultra, though, they're too rare and expensive these days.  My Warmoth strat is as close as I'll get to an Ultra.  :p

The Blacktop Jazzmaster, though...a beautiful example of getting your money's worth out of a $400 guitar.

We need to rename this the THE AWESOME THREAD.

Katy-Perry-handling-a-guitar.png

SOMEbody, please tell me she smeared the dirt on her knees herself right before she came out, just to get me going. Dammit. When you see her, tell her she's an evil conniving witch for doing that;  :evil4: :evil4: :evil4: and, it works.

O. M. G.

I am, like, doing laundry at 4am (once you go 4am, you'll never go back) AND RIGHT THERE - IN THE LAUNDRY ROOM -  is a Weekly US magazine with my Katy on the cover! Talk about Synchronicity! It says:

SHE'LL NEVER FORGIVE HIM

RUSSELL'S SHOCKING TELL-ALL

Katy's nightmare comes true as Brand plots to revel their darkest marriage secrets in his book!

ooh tha rat! Katy sent it to me as a message. I know it. She needs me.... certainly not that pussface imitation so-called "blues guitarist" John Mayer, who has now made a pillow out of the pubic hair of EVERY BLONDE IN CALIFORNIA BETWEEN THE AGES OF EIGHT AND EIGHTY, and has to switch to the brunettes to furnish his next subterranean torture chamber. But my Katy will see through him. It's ME, it's ME, it's always been ME!

I think it's a little unfair not to call singers/vocalists musicians - instrumentalists, no, but they're pretty essential to an awful lot of music...

As far as Fender, every guitar or bass I've owned that wasn't a cheap starter instrument has been a Leo Fender design (with the exception of an Ibanez bass I really liked that got swiped), but I've had a Hohner Jazz Bass, a MM Stingray, and 1.5 Warmoths.  I'm

I do think the fact that Warmoth has Fender's blessing in terms of being licensed goes a long way towards legitimizing them as "real" Fenders for me - I'll admit I don't much care for many G&L or Suhr guitars solely because they're cosmetically "wrong," and in Suhr's case the markup seems a bit much vs. what it costs to achieve the same results through W, plus with W necks/bodies it'll look "right."  Obviously they're very legit guitars played by guys I really respect, but I'd rather see Mark Knopfler play a Strat than a Suhr, though I can't defend it, I know how illogical it is.

Speaking of illogical, I don't have the same problem with Les Paul copies - at all.  :dontknow:

Re the pic above: she does knee slides on stage quite a bit. If it's a festival gig then I'd bet that's how it happened.

Excellent long post up there by the way. Great stuff.

Jumble Jumble said:
If, when hearing a song, someone needs to research the circumstances of its production to check whether it meets all their "musicianship" criteria before they can decide if they like it or not, [...]

Of course, I'm not suggesting that's what happens. What actually happens, as supported by scientific evidence, is one of the following two things (with everything, not just music):

- person hears music
- person likes music
- person continues to listen to this music when possible
- the end

- person hears music
- person dislikes music
- person becomes aware that other people do like the music
- natural insecurity causes conflict in person's mind - how can they dislike something others like?
- person cannot leave it at "some people do, some people don't, I am simply one of the latter"
- person seeks to justify opinion to show that they are "right" and others are wrong
- person focuses in on an element of the music that is different to most music they like
- person claims this difference makes the music they dislike objectively "worse"
- person resolves conflict in mind; feels balance is restored and that their tastes are "correct"
- later music that sounds similar is automatically seen as "bad" for the reasons already decided

Only people who are aware of their brain's tendency to trick them in this way move outside of it and remove their self-imposed limits on what they can and can't like.

And now for the first lines of the first song of Katy Perry's first album, demonstrating beyond doubt how it's all about being sexy:

I saw a spider I didn't scream/'cos I can belch the alphabet just double dog dare me

The funny thing is, first there was an accusation that these people didn't play any instruments. When it was pointed out that yes, actually, they do, the argument was changed to "they don't play them properly". I guess Madonna and KP are not true Scotsmen eh? And as has been said - they're vocalists! Is Mick Jagger not a musician? Placido Domingo?

When it was pointed out that these people do write their songs, it was asserted that they only write the lyrics. Well, wrong again, but who cares eh? Just keep shouting.

None of the questions I've asked have been answered, none of the points I've raised have been addressed. It's like Internet Argument For Dummies in here, why bother continuing when you're up against someone who just wants to type "IT SUCKS" over and over again until everyone agrees.

-----------------

Street Avenger said:
Katie[sic] Perry [...]  Five years from now, no one will even remember her.

I'm sure you're right. Let's see how this plays out...

Katy Perry 5 Year Obscurity Update - One Year On
August 22nd, 2013

Katy Perry's new single Roar has just gone straight to #2 in the Billboard Hot 100 after having sold 557,000 downloads in its first full week. Despite the fact that she is 20% along the way on her journey into permanent obscurity, this is the highest sales week Perry has ever had, and the biggest week ever for Capitol Records, her label. It is also the most singles sold in any week so far in 2013 for any artist. In fact, only five singles have ever sold more than this in a single week, and only two more in their first week.

Perry will play the MTV VMAs on August 25th, release her next single on September 17th, and close the iTunes festival on September 30th. She is releasing her new album Prism on October 22nd, and planning a world tour to support it. She currently has 40 million followers on twitter, the second-most-followed account in the world.

It is now just under four years until nobody will even remember her.

-----

Katy Perry 5 Year Obscurity Update - Two Years On
August 18th, 2014

In the last year, Katy Perry's YouTube videos have had over a billion views. Perry's twitter account now has 55 million followers, which is more than any other account, and an increase of 15 million over this time last year. She has had two number one singles and a number one album.

Her world tour (The "Prismatic World Tour") is now in progress. It consists of 129 dates, in arena-sized venues, playing to crowds of 10,000 to 20,000 each night. Most shows are sold out; the overall average ticket sale rate is 95%. It is estimated that by the end of the tour, over two million people will have seen the show.

Her new album is her best-selling so far, and her current tour is her biggest yet. Check in next year to see how things are going.

-----

Katy Perry 5 Year Obscurity Update - Three Years On
September 1st, 2015

Hello! Update time! I'm a bit late this year - my apologies. So, over the past year, Perry has gained 19.7 million Twitter followers, making a grand total of 74.7 million. She is still the most-followed person in the world on Twitter. She has 26.7m followers on instagram, and 72.2m 'likes' on Facebook. These all represent significant increases since last year - a surefire indicator of decreasing fame.

This year, Perry played the Super Bowl halftime show. This was the most-watched halftime show in Super Bowl history, having been seen by 118.5 million viewers, and was widely reported over national and international news outlets.

The Prismatic World Tour has been extended to 151 dates, due to overwhelming demand by people who, one assumes, are no longer completely sure who Perry is. She is earning an average of over $2m per city, and the tour finally finishes later this year. Due in no small part to the ticket sales from these shows, Perry was featured on the July 2015 cover of Forbes magazine, named the highest-paid entertainer of the year, having earned $135 million in 12 months. She has also featured on covers for Elle, ESPN, Harper's Bazaar, Billboard, Vogue, and many others.

Perry has modelled for Moschino this year, and will be featured in H&M's campaign this winter.

Despite all this, she will be completely forgotten in two years' time. All anyone reading these updates in 2017 will be thinking is... "Katy who?".

-----

Katy Perry 5 Year Obscurity Update - Four Years On
September 2nd, 2016

Late again this year!

Katy's twitter account is now followed by 92 million people, all of which are now slightly unsure who she is. This is still more than any other account.

The Prismatic World Tour finally ended last year after 151 dates and $200 million in box office. After this, Perry appears to be having a break from music, though rumours abound she is working on new music. She continues to appear on magazine covers and fashion advertising across the world.

The single "Rise" was released this year outside of any album campaign, and was used throughout NBC's coverage of the Olympic Games. The single charted in 13 countries and was performed by Perry at the 2016 Democratic National Convention.

This is a quiet year - but next year will be five years since the prediction was made that "no-one will even remember her". Let's wait and see what happens - one way or another, it will be interesting.

-----

Katy Perry 5 Year Obscurity Update - Five Years On
August 18th, 2017

This is it! It's five years! Does anyone remember who Katy Perry is? Let's see.

This year, Katy became the first person ever to reach 100 million followers on twitter. It is unknown whether the extra 8 million people who added her since last year actually remember who it is, or whether they're just jumping on a bandwagon five years too late. She also has tens of millions of followers on all the other social media platforms but let's not get bogged down in those numbers.

Katy released her newest album, Witness, in June, which debuted at number 1 in the Billboard 200 and went to number 1 in 41 countries. As part of the promotion for this album, she took place in a 96-hour YouTube stream which attracted 49 million viewers from 190 countries. One such viewer had this to say: "Katy who? I'm just trying to find out which capacitors I should put in my Strat".

Katy appeared as a featured vocalist along with Pharrell Williams on the Calvin Harris track "Feels". She will appear as one of the judges in ABC's American Idol reboot. She appeared as a guest on the Ellen show and on Carpool Karaoke.

A tour is of course planned, starting in September. So far 84 dates have been announced; this is expected to grow as demand for tickets outstrips supply, and as new legs are added. Tickets are selling out in under a minute every time they go on sale.

Katy has appeared on the covers of Vogue, Hello!, W, and NME magazines amongst others, and continues her mdelling work for Cover Girl. She continues to add fragrances and shoes to her fashion "empire".

She has performed music at the DNC, the iHeartRadio Music Awards, the Brit Awards, the MET Gala, Radio 1's Big Weekend, Glastonbury, SNL and the Grammys, and will soon host the VMAs. She also appeared at Ariana Grande's charity event in Manchester UK.

One of the lyrics on her latest album is "so keep calm honey I'mma stick around/for more than a minute/get used to it". Seems appropriate for this post.

Oh and she has another new hairdo now! Truly we never know what to expect.

On guitars.

I had always assumed a glued in neck was somehow superior. After all, surely it's much more bother? Until I came here and started reading. And then I actually examined my opinions, and realised that I could not think of a single reason why it'd be better. In my normal life I consider screws to be a better fastening than glue, and try to use them whenever possible. So why not on a LP?

I'm not far away from ordering my first bolt-on LP parts shipment from W, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that goes. I'm just doing a cheap one. If it goes well, I have an idea for a pricier one too.

Altar said:
I just don't care for owning an instrument that looks like a fender, but isn't.
:dontknow: ... well whatcha doing here then  :doh:

Altar said:
I like to put a fender logo on all my fenderesque guitars so people will say "thats the best sounding strat I've ever heard."
Then i can say it's not a strat, and they don't believe me, so i leave it at that.
And you feel a pride, with the reputation fender has, that they were impressed with your "strat."
:icon_scratch:  WTF .. was that all about  :dontknow:

So enlighten me then ...

Was it a Strat or not ?

Dose a Fender logo make the tone any better ? 

Altar said:
If it looks like a fender, but isn't, people assume it's a cheap copy.
What a load of crap !!    :laughing7:  :laughing3:  :laughing11:

Someone had to make me have a good laugh today, might as well have been you  :toothy12:

Updown said:
Altar said:
I just don't care for owning an instrument that looks like a fender, but isn't.
:dontknow: ... well whatcha doing here then  :doh:

Modding Guitars.

Altar said:
I like to put a fender logo on all my fenderesque guitars so people will say "thats the best sounding strat I've ever heard."
Then i can say it's not a strat, and they don't believe me, so i leave it at that.
And you feel a pride, with the reputation fender has, that they were impressed with your "strat."
:icon_scratch:  WTF .. was that all about  :dontknow:

So enlighten me then ...

Was it a Strat or not ?

Dose a Fender logo make the tone any better ? 

It was partially a strat. The neck had been changed for a maple/rosewood strat neck. Of course the logo doesn't have any affect on the quality of the instrument, it just makes me happier.

Altar said:
If it looks like a fender, but isn't, people assume it's a cheap copy.
What a load of crap !!    :laughing7:  :laughing3:  :laughing11:

Someone had to make me have a good laugh today, might as well have been you  :toothy12:

This is assuming the person is normal, not an old man obsessed with guitars, and wrapped up in how much better an instrument he can make than anyone else.

Hit me harder, Grandpa! :icon_biggrin:

I put a Gibson logo on one of my Strats and it immediately
fattened-up the sound of them weeny single-coil pickups!! :evil4:

Back