Grounding

jkap5

I'm one of those people who needs a visual resource when I do anything.  Does anyone have a picture of their bridge grounding on a tele? :help:

Doesn't the tele bridge and thus the strings get grounded from the pickup mounting bolts? (if you are using a standard single coil telecaster pickup that is)

Octavian B said:
Doesn't the tele bridge and thus the strings get grounded from the pickup mounting bolts? (if you are using a standard single coil telecaster pickup that is)

Most typically this will NOT ground the bridge as the PU mounting screws usually do not touch a ground within the pickup. You can physically attach the grounding wire TO the mounting screw using a small nut on the portion that protrudes through or solder to the bottom of the Tele bridge before screwing it down. Other end of ground wire should go to back of volume pot or other solid grounding point in circuit.

Doesn't it go bridge plate>pickup screws>brass plate on bottom of pup>ground wire from pickup? I have an uninstalled tele bridge/pu assy on my bench. I get continuity from the bridge to the ground wire of the pup with my VOM. I haven't installed it yet to hear if it hums, though.

i think all tele bridge style single coil and stacked and rails pups have the metal plate. but i dont consider that a great way to ground the bridge. not enough presure for a solid ground, if the pup shakes you may get a pop. oh and a real tele pickup has a steal plate, not brass, this is responsible for much of it's sound. it is copper plated so the ground/sheilding wire can be soldered to it.

to ground a tele bridge solder a wire to the pickup ground, strip of maybe 3/4" and sandwhich it underneath the bridge plate. done, that easy!

Thanks,  I wasn't sure since on the strat that I did you ground it to the spring holder.

I think octavian is right there.  Check with the Bill Lawrence site and click around.  I don't believe you need the extra grounding, if your bridge and pup are of reputable quality.

Back