grounding problem (maybe)

dm251z

My whole life, I've had two-humbucker guitars, which I prefer.  And my whole life, I've had this buzz/noise that goes away when I touch the strings.  I guess this is just normal, but...

What does touching the strings actually do to get rid of that noise?  Is it possible for someone to make some little electronic gizmo that would do the same thing? 

thanks.

Sounds like the bridge is not grounded.  Touching the strings grounds them to your body, while even if you are not exceptionally well grounded (i.e. not standing in a puddle of water on the ground) your body serves as a potentially huge capacitance which quiets the noise (hum).  If the strings are already well grounded there should be zero difference when you touch them.  Look into the bridge ground.

Here is more information...the 'buzz/noise' also goes away when I touch the metal case of my amplifier (gallien-krueger).  Is it possible that nothing is grounded?  or is this just normal?

If the buzzing you're refering to is so small that you only hear it in really quiet conditions, this can be a normal condition. If it is louder than that, then it is possible that even though everything appears grounded, the socket you are plugged into may not be properly grounded or even the house may not be.

I like to use one of these to check out the sockets in the house. Cheap too!

41ZXMH73W7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Agree with Troubled...  if it goes away when you touch the metal on your amp, then it sounds like your amp is poorly grounded.  Check the socket as he recommends.

Good luck,
Jon

ok, I tested the outlets with that ground-testing device, and they are grounded correctly. 

Could this just be some kind of interference coming over the the AC power?  If so, why would touching the metal make it go away?  I just don't understand. :help:  Would a 'power-conditioner' help?

the guy at guitar nuts talks about this a bit. I think he says that your body acts like an antena for noise and touching the strings grounds you to the guitar I could be wrong about what he said there.  http://www.guitarnuts.com/index.php

He could also be wrong as well.

Have you tryed a different amp or something like a line6 pod to see if you still get the buzzing?

Brian

I can't get any info off of the guitarnuts site, all of the links go to various commercial sites. 

Anyway, I tried directly through my digitech RP250 (with headphones, no amp), and still here the same noise, still goes away when I touch the strings.  I guess that the RP250 is not grounded (runs off of DC adapter). 

Any ideas?  There must be something I can install in my guitar that would 'emulate' the effect of touching the strings!!

Try swapping out your power cord or actually change the plug itself.  You could have a bad ground pin on your plug or the cord itself could be bad...

strange, try this

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/noisebucket.php

looks like he has some pop ups to musicians friend but thay dont prevent the page from loading.
Brian

Brian, thanks.  That is an interesting article.  I guess it sort of makes sense, but...even if it is ME that is causing the interference, shouldn't that be canceled out by HB pickups?  I'll have to think about this more, and try some of this suggested experiments...

Dipak

If you are also playing around flourescent lighting or a running fan....actually anything that gives off EMI (electro-magnetic interferance) could be picked up through your pickups and amplified through the amp.  You could change the location that you are practicing in or you could try shielding your pickups.  I know that many of the guys on this site do not feel that shielding helps, but I figure, what do you have to loose??  It's copper tale is inexpensive and shielding your guitar is rather easy to do... Just a thought...

Back