Green Oil-Soluble Aniline Dye on Black Korina

2ManyShoes

I'm getting ready to build a bari 7-string.  The body will be black korina, and the neck will be wenge with a pau ferro fingerboard.  If the contrast between the woods is such that the body is going to be significantly darker than the fingerboard, I'll finish the body in plain Tru Oil.  But if the body is close to the same shade as the neck (or lighter), I want to hit the body with stain to darken the grain, then finish it with Tru Oil tinted with a very dark forest green.  I have two questions.

First, how does black korina take tinted oil?

Second, does anybody know a source for that color?  I've had very good results with the Moser oil-soluble aniline dyes on mahogany, and some other oil-soluble dyes (when Moser doesn't have the color I want).  I can't find anybody that sells this color, though.  Moser makes exactly what I want, but only in the water-soluble version, which you can see here:  http://woodworker.com/pdf/clrcharth2o.pdf.  Anybody have a line on where to buy this color in an oil-soluble form, or how to achieve that color by blending available dyes?  Thanks.

Back