Graphite or roller?

shanejw

I'm putting together parts for my strat project.  Anyone with experience with these?  Is either one better than the other?  Difference in tone?

Picture the graphite nut as a lubed up regular nut without the lube goo mess. The tone I thought was surprisingly good. I would never hesitate to order one.

The LSR roller nut is a whole other animal. IMO, it is great. The open notes are clear with lots of sustain because the string vibration terminates on metal.....like your fretted notes. Mine worked flawlessly and was a breeze to install after the Warmoth LSR nut prep. Never had string binding that's for sure. I look forward to spec'ing it again if the opportunity arises.

I'd agree with that Gregg. I have one one my W Strat in combination with a Wilkinson VS100 & a set of Planet Waves tuners - works like a charm - nigh on impossible to knock out of tune.

PS. Gregg, any hints on how the 'Braveheart' order is progressing?

Yep, I've also got one of each.  If I was putting a trem on the guitar I would use the LSR without hesitation. Sound is quite excellent and combined with locking tuners it provides for great tuning stability.  Obviously overkill on a hardtail so there I would go with the graphite.

Also, it may be stating the obvious, but if you have an angled headstock, you can't really use the LSR. 

shanejw said:
I'm putting together parts for my strat project.  Anyone with experience with these?  Is either one better than the other?  Difference in tone?

Interesting

Would an LSR straight neck be preferable over a graphtech angled neck on a trem guitar?

The only thing I've heard bad about LSR is that they're finicky about string gauges, 009's or .010's is it - they freak out on 12-58's for downtuners. I'm not even sure if this is true.... :icon_tongue:

As always, it depends upon your vibrato bar use/abuse. For heavy use, nothing stays in tune like a locknut. In my experience, a LSR with a set of locking tuners (staggered tuners are a MUST) is very dependable for light to medium use. Graph Tech nuts are great too, but not as dependable for tuning stability, even with light use.

Back