Gotoh 510 FST Mechanism Tremolo Block - very impressive

Jay Menon

Re: tuning instability on Stratocaster type guitars.

The effect of the following friction points is well recognised
- tuning machine posts
    - sloppy windings
    - locking machine heads (minimising windings around the post)
- string trees
- nut slots

Perhaps less well recognised are issues around the bridge. IMO there is perhaps an inordinate amount of focus on the ability (or otherwise) of the bridge to return the 'zero point'.  From what I have observed, even a 6 screw tremolo returns to zero point beautifully...

What I have found is that issues of the strings 'hanging' at the saddles and baseplate are very relevant.

With a Wilkinson VS100 - here's a demonstration of the tuning instability on my previous strat.
The neck has locking tuners. no string trees and beautifully cut and lubricated nut slots.

https://soundcloud.com/jaymenon/my-strat-tuning-instability

So I went with a Non-Fine Tuner Floyd Rose body - I used the same Strat neck.

This pretty much eliminated the tuning instability, since the strings were locked at the bridge saddles and tuning machines, with the only point of friction being the slots on the bone nut. Unfortunately the body is a bit too heavy for me, and no one seems interested to buy it - but that's a different story...

I then recently tried out a Gotoh 510 with the FST block. On this, the string makes no contact with the baseplate but instead travels directly from the ball end to the saddle.
TjJOewp.jpg

The block is machined away
IghK97t.jpg

The base plate has elongated slots rather than holes.
mk6517w.jpg

On a conventional strat tremolo, the string exits at the top of the baseplate and makes a 45° angle forwards on its way to the saddle. This bend usually remains as a 'memory point' on the string which retains that deformity even after being removed (we've all seen that). I believe that this is a major point of friction.

suUowJ7.jpg

So with the FST mechanism there are only two points of potential friction (saddles and nut).

...and the tuning instability is very impressive indeed, rivalling that of the non-fine tuner floyd rose. Only problem is that Gotoh only makes it is Zinc (but can I really hear a difference?)

Finally I got a friend to make me an FST block in cold rolled steel - best of both worlds :))

Glad to hear.  I just got one those Gotoh units (in the 2 1/16 form factor, thanks to Logrinn's recommendation) but have not installed it yet.
Do you have any pictures?

Unfortunately he 2-1/16 version isn't available with the FST-mechanism. The bridge I have is of an ordinary type, except for the width.

This is the one I got ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Gotoh-NS510T-FE1-Non-locking-2-Point-Tremolo-Bridge-Narrow-Spacing-CHROME/291737295755?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

It says ... "The tremolo block is designed to allow the strings to contact the saddle without touching the block as it passes through which increases sustain and tuning stability." And even if it's not an FST, it's what I was looking for so I'm keeping it.  I don't like the wide trems.

That's the one I got as well. But that isn't the FST mechanism as Jay Menon is talking about.
Here's info from Gotoh webpage:

T-Block-TS-Block-1.jpg

I looked at this at work and IT blocks  pictures from certain sources

Rick, I’ve copied the image and uploaded it to my website, so perhaps you’ll be able to see this one. It shows the difference between a normal block and the FST one:

155031566411042800_resized.jpg

Note also the photos of Jay Menon show it is a six screw bridge and not the two post Gotoh 510 that Warmoth offer.

Actually the Gotoh 510 comes in both 6-screw and twin pivot versions...

With a choice of a traditional Steel or an FST Zinc block.

They don't do the FST mechanism in steel - so I got one made by a friend. Works an absolute treat...!

8vPrUBK.jpg

HymunAO.jpg

3zbZwmJ.jpg

And used in conjunction with Fender Bullet strings (with I understand are made by D'Addario anyway), I've been very very impressed...

xCwV9T8.jpg

Jay Menon said:
Actually the Gotoh 510 comes in both 6-screw and twin pivot versions...

There are a number of 510s. I know some are 6 screw and some are two posts. Just pointing out the photos you posted earlier show a six screw version.

I've got the 2 post version and have set it up 3 ways: Decked, rear floating, and fully floating.  Tuning stability and tone are the same in all three positions.  What does change, however, is the feel of the trem arm.  Rear up, a'la fender, isn't so smooth or easy.  Fully floating is where it's at with this bridge for my taste.  Very sensitive and smooth trem action with incredible flutter if needed.

Back