Good combo for HH guitar(?)

By their description, that's a pretty wild pickup. I'm led to believe that almost anything would be milder/cleaner. So, it depends on what you call "great, clean tone". Is there an example of a tune with the tone you'd like to emulate? That might make it easier to pick something.

Single coil strat pickups that go bzzzzzzz for clean, IMO. I'm a bit of a black sheep here when it comes to pickups though. If it has to be that humbucking stuff (Why would anyone want that?) a PAF from Lindy Fralin. A Pearly Gates. A Jazz one.

ArifSondani said:
I need help here
does anyone what is the perfect couple for seymour duncan sh-13?
that has a great clean tone
Yep I have that Dimebucker & a 59' is perfect for the neck posy.
:icon_scratch: Now ... is that the 'perfect couple' .... who knows !!
I use them with SD Triple shots & are very nice together  :icon_thumright:

Could use a number of Sd's with it thou ... Jazz ... Pearly etc etc

Tipperman said:
Single coil strat pickups that go bzzzzzzz for clean, IMO. I'm a bit of a black sheep here when it comes to pickups though. If it has to be that humbucking stuff (Why would anyone want that?) a PAF from Lindy Fralin. A Pearly Gates. A Jazz one.

Humbucking doesn't necessarily mean bad tone. It just means it doesn't hum, which is a Good Thing.

If you really like what a single coil sounds like, you owe it to yourself to unclench $32 and buy a GFS True Coil. I'm not kidding - those things are magical. I've got a pile of Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Fender and other pickups either installed or laying around wondering what their lot in life is going to be and none of them even come close to these things. Not that any of those are bad pickups, but they're never what you expect. The True Coil is. Seriously. Nice parts.

Tipperman said:

Why would anyone want to mix a low-output single coil with a high-output humbucker?? There would be a drastic volume difference between the two.

Hard to answer without knowing what kind of guitar they're going into, what it's made from, what kind of sound you're after and so on. Some of these might sound great in thick mahogany LP but sound icy-picky and harsh in an ash/maple guitar.

Cagey said:
Tipperman said:

Humbucking doesn't necessarily mean bad tone. It just means it doesn't hum, which is a Good Thing.

If you really like what a single coil sounds like, you owe it to yourself to unclench $32 and buy a GFS True Coil. I'm not kidding - those things are magical. I've got a pile of Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Fender and other pickups either installed or laying around wondering what their lot in life is going to be and none of them even come close to these things. Not that any of those are bad pickups, but they're never what you expect. The True Coil is. Seriously. Nice parts.

+1

GFS makes some really cool pickups.  I have a NeoVin7 Tele neck at .7k for my Baritone Tele, and it's as sweet as butter.  It shines on a Tweed Bassman, but does equally well with other amps.  I know some people are sceptical of their quality at their lower than usual price, but for any price, they are very good pickups.

Yeah, those Neovins are nice, too. I have a set in my white Strat, and have been very pleased with them. These True Coils are even better, though. If you didn't know any better, you'd swear you had a set of old single coils installed that have just magically had the noise removed.

Basically, they put a small coil on the bottom that's just enough to pull off the CMNR trick. So, it looks sorta like a stacked coil setup, just out of proportion. The net result is only the top coil really produces any signal, so it has an authentic single coil sound with all the frequency response and character that comes with that.

Highly recommended.

Cagey said:
Yeah, those Neovins are nice, too. I have a set in my white Strat, and have been very pleased with them. These True Coils are even better, though. If you didn't know any better, you'd swear you had a set of old single coils installed that have just magically had the noise removed.

Basically, they put a small coil on the bottom that's just enough to pull off the CMNR trick. So, it looks sorta like a stacked coil setup, just out of proportion. The net result is only the top coil really produces any signal, so it has an authentic single coil sound with all the frequency response and character that comes with that.

Highly recommended.

This is where they've really taken the stacked pickup idea to it's fullest potential.  I remember having some HS-2's & HS-3's back in the later 80's/early 90's, but they just didn't have enough output.  In some ways, they had even less output than regular single coils.  The GFS's sound true, and keep up with other higher output pickups to boot.

I remember reading some time back about a system John Suhr would install that used regular single coils, but tied in a very large bucking coil on the back of the guitar to pull off the CMNR (CMNR=Common Mode Noise Rejection) trick. Same idea, different execution. Problem with that system was it wasn't balanced per pickup, so its effectiveness varied. Also, it was pretty expensive.

Cagey said:
I remember reading some time back about a system John Suhr would install that used regular single coils, but tied in a very large bucking coil on the back of the guitar to pull off the CMNR (CMNR=Common Mode Noise Rejection) trick. Same idea, different execution. Problem with that system was it wasn't balanced per pickup, so its effectiveness varied. Also, it was pretty expensive.

I remember that, it was mounted to the trem cavity cover, wasn't it?

That would make sense, but for some reason I remember it being bigger than that. But, my memory could be faulty - there's lotsa precedent for that - or there may have been more than one version of it.

The Dimebucker is a reverse-engineered Bill Lawrence L-500.  Both L-500 users (Nuno Bettencourt and Dimebag Darrell) coupled it with a SD 59 in their neck.  That doesn't mean you have to.  There's nothing this forum can tell you about which one you'll like better than a while spent on youtube comparing demos can't tell you.  I know from personal experience that a coil-split Jazz makes my Mahogany and Rosewood Schecter sound brighter than my strat, but YMMV.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Cagey said:

Highly recommended.

This is where they've really taken the stacked pickup idea to it's fullest potential.  I remember having some HS-2's & HS-3's back in the later 80's/early 90's, but they just didn't have enough output.  In some ways, they had even less output than regular single coils.  The GFS's sound true, and keep up with other higher output pickups to boot.

I hated HS-2s and HS-3s. They were weak, and had not nearly enough top-end.
The Area-67s put an end to that dilemma.

My Dimebucker & a 59' is in a Mahogany Body with a Maple neck using SD Triple shots.
All sounds good to me, in that combo of woods & pickups.
Using a Wilkinson Trem thou.

Back