Going to Hawaii (from Australia) to Warmoth or not.

Garf

So.. For anytime that knows anything about prices on guitars/accessories in Australia, you'd probably understand if I told you I was going to take advantage of going to Hawaii with my wife and daughter in October, and buy a guitar or something related.

I've contacted the airline and the local shop to see what can be done, and I know I can get the PRS guitar I want, but Hawaiian airlines is a bit ambiguous when it comes to bringing it on board...

But aside from all that, I really want my own warmoth creation anyway... And I can certainly save on shipping, but the saving is not as much as on brand name guitars, where it can be as much as half price. But two issues:

1. Total price needs be be under $900 (otherwise you get taxed on the whole amount coming back into Australia - PRS SE models fit this criteria). I might have to sacrifice on the neck and get from the showcase to fit it all under $900
2. Packaging. How would a neck and tele body come packed? Could I fit them in a large suitcase without being damaged? Obviously also packed with clothes etc... Or could I somehow fit them into carry on....

Peoples thoughts on the whole issue would be helpful

Thanks

I've taken the neck off a Strat packed it with clothes in a suitcase for an International flight more than once.

A Tele body would fit in a regular carry-on.

For a look at the Warmoth packaging, check out the many unboxing threads.

Is the $900 US or Aussie Dollars?

If cost becomes an issue I would not skimp on the neck. I'd go cheap on the body instead even if it meant buying a 'loaded body' off Flea Bay.

It's in AUD... which means just over $900 USD...

For me, the body is what I want designed... I want a good looking body...

When I say ill compromise on the neck, I just mean the bells an whistles... Like reverse headstock, and inlays... There are cheap ones in the showcase that have the same other specs that I want... Just won't look as good.

Also I suppose it comes down to what is shown on the invoice.... It's possible you could get away with saying the neck is part of the guitar, and you dismantled it for transport...

Would warmoth separate invoices for me, I would think they would.

When the lights go down, nobody can tell it has a good looking body. Spend your money where the action is.

Make separate orders for the body and neck and you'll have separate invoices. But if the customs employee reads the invoice he/she will understand only a single item has been charged. Warmoth's invoices are detailed. You can ship the neck (lighter than the body) at your home just before you'll get on the plane to return. This way you can buy a body and neck without compromising anything and you will be under $900.

No need for packaging if there will be between clothes. Just leave the belts for another suitcase.

If you can find in a shop plays a few SE's. My only experience is with mine and she has been a very pleasant surprise. For the price of a Warmoth mid-priced body I got a Korina guitar with binding and bird inlays that feels great and sounds very good. I bought the guitar from US too, half the EU/UK price!

Have fun in Hawaii  :rock-on:

Back