Gluing end grain to end grain

But I don't think I want a guitar neck glued up out of a bunch of small blocks just the same.

But I don't think I want a guitar neck glued up out of a bunch of small blocks just the same.
I hear you ... but still people seem to like necks made of several pieces ...

06fdb658df12b25a86619af20f097570.jpg

:cool:

The neck laminate shown is side to side glued along the necks' length. I cannot remember seeing one that is glued end to end across the neck to create a longer piece.

I have never seen that either, but still, it could be interesting to see if there's any impact in tone/sound/sustain ... from a solid neck versus a multi ply neck.
But now we're getting off topic.

It was very interesting that the strength of an end grain glue joint was better than the usual side grain joint. The problem with the end grain joint is that as shown in the video, even though it's a relatively strong joint, it's weaker than the wood itself by a lot. If you think Les Paul heads break off easily, you'll like a neck with an end grain glue joint even less.

It was very interesting that the strength of an end grain glue joint was better than the usual side grain joint. The problem with the end grain joint is that as shown in the video, even though it's a relatively strong joint, it's weaker than the wood itself by a lot. If you think Les Paul heads break off easily, you'll like a neck with an end grain glue joint even less.
but what is a scarf joint if not end grain glued together at an angle? and its widely accepted those are stronger 🤔

The only eng grain glue up I’ve seen is on 3x3 headstocks to extend the length of the headstock away from the nut, but with the following exception.
The piece added was in an area that was non structural, and therefore largely ornamental for branding. It did not have any holes drilled through it for machine head mounting, and it was concealed in a solid paint finish. I’ve seen it on the side flange of a 6 in-line before as well, but again, on the non structural side. One of these may have been an old Aria Pro II Knight Warrior that was sanded back to wood to reveal, and another was some boutique build that I saw on another site some years back.

Back