Gloss to VOS

Hodgo

Has anyone got a foolproof method for knocking some of the shine off a Warmoth gloss finish? Not looking for a full satin, something closer to Gibson VOS style finishes that are somewhere in the middle.

it would be easier to go from satin and gloss it up a bit with some polishing work.

I have 1 satin guitar from warmoth that is very shinny where my fingers rub on the top. I have heard of others complaining that the satin shines up over time.

However in your case, I think that would be a good thing to add some shine to your guitar but not make it high gloss.

Obviously this should be done with care and by a pro. It would be very easy to wreck the finish trying something like this.

That is the nature of satin, it eventually glosses up a little bit. I've buffed up satin guitars to a low sheen finish. It's easy. Just polish it up with swirl remover. The first round I attached a buffing mushroom to a drill. The crevasses and hard angles did it by hand. Of course, if you're not gentle you could mess it up, but it's like that will all things, ain't it? Also, it's a pretty strange satin that doesn't gloss up some after years of playing. I suppose it all depends on your touch and your sweat.

Going the other way to increase the satin I think you'd have to repaint it.

Last edited:
I was thinking 0000 steel wool (no electronics in the room and thoroughly cleaned after of course) might knock the shine down just enough.

The problem with touching up with any rubbing is You'd polish it. Worse things happen.

I was thinking 0000 steel wool (no electronics in the room and thoroughly cleaned after of course) might knock the shine down just enough.
I think you'll find even 0000 steel wool to be too course... Maybe a micromesh pad/paper would work better? I don't know which grit would be ideal though

it would be easier to go from satin and gloss it up a bit with some polishing work.

I have 1 satin guitar from warmoth that is very shinny where my fingers rub on the top. I have heard of others complaining that the satin shines up over time.

However in your case, I think that would be a good thing to add some shine to your guitar but not make it high gloss.

Obviously this should be done with care and by a pro. It would be very easy to wreck the finish trying something like this.
I agree with you. I think that is just a matter of buffing.

Back