Gloss or Satin

line6man

Epic Member
This has probably been covered a million times, but i will ask anyways.

It seems like everybody always loves satin finishes on their neck, for the playability.

but i really love glossy necks, not just the look...
i prefer the glossy feel as opposed to satin.

am i the only guy here thats really into gloss?

Gloss sticks more to me, but that may just be a mental thing.  As such, I prefer satin or raw.

I think satin feels better, but it doesn't wear as nicely.  The gloss just seems more durable.  Could just be in my head.

Gloss i reckon, isn't that what they have on ibanez's?If so gloss and a thin neck=fast play (for me anyway i like those ibanez's).

it's either gloss or nothing for me :)
I love the look of gloss + amber tint on a birds eye or flame maple neck!!

A highly subjective topic - but one that's always interesting. I'll weigh in on the side of oiled or satin...

I wish I liked gloss!  That would be great.  Alas, I don't.  One of my acoustics has a glossy neck and it drives me nuts.

Gloss on birdseye or flame LOOKS so good... but alas, I'm a satin guy. I prefer the feel, plus it doesnt show fingerprints all over the place.

Alas, I saw a lass in Alaska or Nebraska, she had a flask made of brass, and for two bucks she would show you her.......

mask.

I have raw, satin, and gloss necks.  I perferred the satin neck until I played a raw neck.  But my Gibson LP has a gloss neck and I play it alot... used to be all the time until I built my Warmoth LP.

As long as I keep mt gloss neck clean, I am happy with all of them. 

I will say, that I will never have a finished neck on any future guitars...

Bill

no, not at all.
I did that because the last two posts contained the word alas.

Alas, will anyone ever get me, Tommy can you hear me?

DocNrock said:
Then again, I do love the raw wenge neck.  :icon_thumright:
I'mI considering a wenge rev jackson style for my spalt Tele project, but i also like Pau Ferro and Ziricote. it'll be one of those with a "unique" fretboard......I like the raw feel....I hate finishes on my necks.... :dontknow:

Back