gigged with 2 les pauls loaded with silver zephyrs. what are your views about it

The jams here, the hosting band provides everything.  The only reason to bring your stuff is if you just insist on it.  I dislike playing 5 string basses, but if the hosting band has a four, I'll play theirs.  I don't mind if others use my stuff, even strangers, as long as they're not morons.  We all worked hard to buy our stuff, including the guy playing your stuff.  They're usually respectful of that...with or without silver zephyrs.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I'm still confused.  Weren't these the guitars you had sent to California, picked up from Hannaugh, had to find a a soldering iron for, threw together quickly so they could be demo'd at Namm, only to find out four months later it needs a setup and realizing then you don't want strangers playing your stuff.

yes, yes, no, no, no, no.

California: correct.
Hannaugh: correct.
Soldering iron: partly correct.
Demo Namm: no.
Setup: no
Strangers not playing my gear: no.

I did not demo them at Namm, I demo'd them later than Namm. I got a soldering iron in Santa Barbara, in the factory of SD, and demo'd the guitars there. I was too exhausted to demo the guitars at Namm (not to mention too busy!).

I set them up, but as you must know, guitars need final setups later on. So that's what I did when I got back. In the time between let's say the first week of February and last week I started redoing the setups of several main guitars I have. I releveled them etc etc and some guitars played so well, much better than these two. So... I redid these two as well. I work over 70 hours a week on a good week and 'just' 55 on a bad week, so this kind of work takes a lot of time spread out over several days. I can't do it all at once.

I never like others playing my gear if I don't know them, but in this instance I was a bit more anxious since it was the first time these guitars were put on stage. period. I lend it out to prove my point to that girl. I feared damage and I knew that those guys would damage it. And so it happened...

So... do you understand it now? They were fine. But only after I improved others I thought: ' this can be better!' and henceforth I decided to better the guitars significantly.

Orpheo said:
... I feared damage and I knew that those guys would damage it. And so it happened...

Sorry. This makes no sense to me.  ??? :icon_scratch:

You deliberately let disaster happen?

SustainerPlayer said:
Orpheo said:
... I feared damage and I knew that those guys would damage it. And so it happened...

Sorry. This makes no sense to me.  ??? :icon_scratch:

You deliberately let disaster happen?
deliberately yet controlled. yes. My drive to prove my point overwhelmed my sense of fear ;) besides, I can fix most if not all damage to a guitar.

If I am going to a session where gear is shared, I have a cheapo that I bring that I have made fun to play for me.  I understand that Orpheo has rather discriminating tastes, but I just check those at the door.  If some one dings a $250 guitar, I am not happy, but it ain't one of my precious darlings.  I got a $300 used amp head for the same reason.  If someone spills a pitcher of beer on it, I am pissed, but it isn't the end of the world.  But for my nice guitars, I have a couple of friends that play them every once in a while.  But they have been folks I kow for a long time and I understand them.

It is nice to hear that the pickups are not snake oil, now I just want to know why the behave the way that they do.
Patrick

I still wondering how the blood got there.  Seriously, what happened? I could see it if maybe a string broke, but beyond that ...

Jet-Jaguar said:
I still wondering how the blood got there.  Seriously, what happened? I could see it if maybe a string broke, but beyond that ...

Aggressive down-strokes.  I've done it - bled all over my guitar.

Orpheo said:
what would you guys have done in such a situation?

I would have never lent it out. I'd tell the person running it, that if she's so concerned about players with no gear having access to gear then SHE or THE ESTABLISHMENT should furnish it.

I also would have showed the guitar back to the guy that borrowed it and made him feel like an A+ #1 sh*theel for not being cool with a borrowed instrument, but it really would have been on me for loaning it out in the first place.

That's seriously about as disgusting a story as the one (also told on UW) where someone borrowed a bass, gave it back with all the hardware corroded and said "oh yeah, sorry, I have corrosive sweat".

Jumble Jumble said:
What would she do if nobody turned up with any gear?

Issue a casting call for an "Air Band"...

Sacred-Heart-Airband.jpg

Honestly, if the condition to jam was that you have to be willing to loan your gear to others, then that's the rule.  Of course, it's a stupid rule and I wouldn't think they would get many participants.  If I was the only one being asked to loan out equipment, then I would probably have said something rude and walked away.

I'm actually pretty generous about loaning out my guitars for others to play and as a result, have suffered some damage; however, I rarely loan them to someone I do not know.  The thought of going to a jam session and loaning a guitar to a complete stranger kind of makes me cringe.

Yea, the thought of loaning out my equipment to a bunch of guys at a jam session makes me cringe as well.  Other than the people on this forum, I can count the number of people I would be comfortable loaning my geetars to on one hand. 

Jumble Jumble said:
What would she do if nobody turned up with any gear?

Exactly.  Someone has to be the responsible musician, otherwise you have nothing.

In my opinion, if you go somewhere to play, and you have a guitar of your own, you bring it with you unless you have asked someone and arranged to borrow something in advance.  It's called being prepared.  If you show up empty handed and no one wants to share their hard earned gear with you, that is their right and their decision, and you are fully responsible for your own inability to play that day.  You have no right to make demands of the person who came prepared. 

And really, why didn't these people come with their guitars?  Maybe they don't want to share their stuff.

Except of course for the drummers, right?  They're supposed to share their set.  It's only fair to rest of the stingy band.
:dontknow:

I'm actually more worried about sharing my amp than any instruments, and I will not loan my PA out.

You know they used to say video games were bad for you, but if there's one thing I have learned over the years from playing console video games, is that if you are playing with others and there are not enough controllers to go around, its only a matter of time before its your turn to sub in and the guy subbing out hands you the controller....slick, greasy, and dripping 'cause sweat all over it.  :sad:

I mean, its going to happen!
you might as well be playing russian roulette  :dontknow:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Except of course for the drummers, right?  They're supposed to share their set.  It's only fair to rest of the stingy band.
:dontknow:

It's different for different instruments.  Drums are hard to lug around and take forever to set up, and drummers have to live by a different set of rules because of that.  I'm talking about guitars, it ain't the same.  Really though, I wouldn't begrudge a drummer for packing up and getting out of there.  Your property is your property, you have the right to not let others use it if it belongs to you. 

What about brass and woodwinds?  No one on earth would expect you to loan your sax to whatever stranger shows up at a jam.  "Yes Mr. Coldsore VonTuberculosis whom I've just met, you can blow your saliva all over my $5000 instrument." 

If you at least bring your own sticks then you're not really touching the drum set with your gross hands anyways, plus they are meant to get banged around (literally), that's what drums are for. 

Guitars on the other hand... when I was in high school, I left my guitar in my teacher's office for 15 minutes.  When I came back, someone had snuck in there, taken it out of it's case to play it without my permission and broken part of the headstock and just left it there.  There was no note or apology or anything.  That's how fast some asshat who doesn't give a shite about other people's things can wreck your guitar. 

Well, I guess if this were a drummer forum, we'd be hearing about how strangers would be crazy to think they could play on my new $900 snare, $300 ride symbol, hydraulic heads, and how I just know that John Bonham wannabe over there is gonna bend my kick drum arm.  Plus, he's got those Travis Barker and Eric Singer signature white sticks that are gonna leave marks on my crash.

The only person I've ever seen shed blood while playing was a friend who used to play the bongos - if you can do that on guitar, that's some pretty agressive playing in my opinion.

I'll gladly let almost anyone play my guitars or hand drums at a jam, but I'll also sit there and watch them play, then put it back in the case when they're done. Most people are respectful to someone else's gear - you'd have to be drunk or just an a-hole to bleed on someone's guitar or leave it with a broken jack and not say anything to the owner. A sweaty fretboard or belt buckle scratch would be understandable - I've done worse to my own gear just while trying to take photos of it.

Is it a situation where you have to bring your best guitar, or can you bring one of your backups next time - one that you don't worry about as much? Or play the best one yourself, and only share the backup as long as you're in the room?

With an open mic event there is a hosting entity. They are usually the ones to provide the gear. That's just the culture of an open mic jam. Still I've always taken my own guitars. I don't want to ply anyone else's. When I worked at GC we would host an open mic and bring all the gear. It was a blast.

Back