Gibson flips out, sic's lawyers on Kiesel

Mayfly said:
PhilHill said:
swarfrat said:
We should probably ban the Gibson bashing threads. Not because they don't deserve it, buy for the same reason we don't shoot ducks not in flight. It just ain't sporting.

However, yes even a rabid Hyena shouldn't be kicked when it's down. :icon_jokercolor:

yes it should!  That's the best time  :headbang:

:laughing3:

I think the appropriateness of Gibson bashing is dependent upon context. Calling them out for the terrible PR they have been drumming up for themselves by running over guitars with excavators and the whole Mark Agnesi thing and strong-arming the whole world with semi-frivilous lawsuits is entirely warranted. However, the general Gibson bashing and “Gibson hasn’t made a good guitar in 50 years!” thing are kind of ridiculous in my opinion and seem to me to be an internet forum bandwagon of sorts. It’s very chic to bash Gibson these days. I’ve owned three modern Gibson’s myself and my dad has a couple and they have all been of the highest quality. My two cents, anyway...

-VB- said:
I think the appropriateness of Gibson bashing is dependent upon context. Calling them out for the terrible PR they have been drumming up for themselves by running over guitars with excavators and the whole Mark Agnesi thing and strong-arming the whole world with semi-frivilous lawsuits is entirely warranted. However, the general Gibson bashing and “Gibson hasn’t made a good guitar in 50 years!” thing are kind of ridiculous in my opinion and seem to me to be an internet forum bandwagon of sorts. It’s very chic to bash Gibson these days. I’ve owned three modern Gibson’s myself and my dad has a couple and they have all been of the highest quality. My two cents, anyway...

You make a good point. I know what you mean by the internet bandwagon thing, not my intention to do that. Even though a factory is badly managed, they can still be able to produce good stuff. Although I wonder what folks would think if they were able to see and feel the quality and craftsmanship that Gibson put out prior to the fifties, when they didn't have the advantage of modern technology and materials. When it was all hand built. The modern stuff would have to be looked at with a different eye then.
My main thing is that they shouldn't be considered "Gibson" anymore. I know, the new folks bought the rights and all that, the sad result of bad laws to me. It's like the new D'Angelico Guitars. They are, from what I understand, very good instruments. But John D'Angelico has been dead since 1964, had no choice in the decision to make modern guitars under his name, nor the methods and materials that would be used. But if someone is dissatisfied with their guitar, the name D'Angelico gets the blame. Same with Fender, although Leo sold that company voluntarily.
But if we want to point out the horrible crap that the new folks are doing, we really don't have a choice but to refer to them as Gibson if we want people to know who were talking about.

And as far as YouTube stars go, one has to realize that there are more guitar experts on YouTube than there are guitars or people who play them, so it's probably best to give them the attention and consideration that they deserve.  :icon_thumright:

PhilHill said:
And as far as YouTube stars go, one has to realize that there are more guitar experts on YouTube than there are guitars or people who play them, so it's probably best to give them the attention and consideration that they deserve.  :icon_thumright:

Well said  :icon_biggrin:

PhilHill said:
-VB- said:
It's like the new D'Angelico Guitars. They are, from what I understand, very good instruments. But John D'Angelico has been dead since 1964, had no choice in the decision to make modern guitars under his name, nor the methods and materials that would be used. But if someone is dissatisfied with their guitar, the name D'Angelico gets the blame.

That one is a weird one isn't it? I have a friend with a D'Angelico acoustic. It's a pretty standard flat-top dreadnaught. Not a bad guitar, but kind of typical  of a $500 acoustic.
Just weird to me. Kind of like having a Hyundai Elantra with Porsche branding.

That one is a weird one isn't it? I have a friend with a D'Angelico acoustic. It's a pretty standard flat-top dreadnaught. Not a bad guitar, but kind of typical  of a $500 acoustic.
Just weird to me. Kind of like having a Hyundai Elantra with Porsche branding.

Exactly. And without Porsche getting a choice in the matter. :dontknow:

Back