Gibson Dirty Fingers

DocNrock

Master Member
Does anyone have this pup in the bridge slot of a mahogany body/neck guitar?  If so, what are your thoughts?  I'm thinking of getting one for my Les Paul.

My best friend had them in his '82 The V.

Guitars007.jpg

We took them out and burned them, lest they destroy another guitar's tone. Both of us had the same opinion, worst pickups ever made. Overpowered, muddy, and just plain miserable sounding.

The Dirty Fingers pickup is perfect for hiding someone's lack of talent--there is no sound difference between playing an actual chord and just pusing down on all six strings at the same fret to give you kind of the pitch you want to scratch at. If you want something punchy and crunchy, get yourself a SD Invader and put that in the bridge, or get a matched pair--you'll have better luck.

The Dirty Fingers pickup is a product of the Norlin days. The only gem from that dark and dank chapter in Gibson history is the Les Paul Deluxe.

i have one in a epiphone sg..... i personaly hate it ..... good for distorted things ( WHICH I DONT DO) and it sounds almost dull?(HARD TO EXPLAIN) when im playing something clean...

i personaly would suggest something elese

Graffiti62 said:
The Dirty Fingers pickup is perfect for hiding someone's lack of talent--there is no sound difference between playing an actual chord and just pusing down on all six strings at the same fret to give you kind of the pitch you want to scratch at. If you want something punchy and crunchy, get yourself a SD Invader and put that in the bridge, or get a matched pair--you'll have better luck.

The Dirty Fingers pickup is a product of the Norlin days. The only thing that came out looking good from that dark and dank chapter in Gibson history is the Les Paul Deluxe and the TP-6 tailpiece.

I agree with most opinions about the dirty fingers, but the deluxe les paul is realy cool. sounds very very nice and versatile. the TP6 stinks indeed.

"The Dirty Fingers pickup is perfect for hiding someone's lack of talent"

Any pickups will do; just go Linda McCartney on them and don't wire them up

After doing a lot of review online, it would seem the consensus is that the new reissues are overpriced crapola, and that if one wants the dirty fingers tone (think John Sykes in the 80's), then one would need circa '83 original dirty fingers pups.  That said, I scored a couple of '83 dirty fingers on ebay last night.  I'm told they came out of an '83 Explorer.  We'll see.

Hopefully they'll hide my lack of talent.  Seriously, it sounds like they are not for everyone, but that is the sound I was looking for out of my Les Paul.  Thanks for your help.

Review:  Just for the hellovit, I got a new one and put it in my LP.  I'll admit its a bit trebly, but roll back the tone control to about 3 and it really is a cool pup.  It likes to be about a quarter inch from the strings, but it has a great, articulate tone.  I personally find the chords to be very well defined.  Much better than the stock pups.  I put an Air Norton in the neck and that turned out to be a beautiful complement.  I can see how this tone would not be for everyone, but it was just what I was looking for.  BTW, it doesn't hide "lack of talent."  It certainly does magnify ones lack of nuance, however.

FWIW, I play through a Peavey JSX 2x12 combo, no effects.

I'm now thinking that I am going to put the '83 set I got off of ebay in my triple humbucker WGD.  The neck slot is waiting for a sustainiac to arrive.

:doh:

I was cleaning up this morning from my construction activities and ran across the LP wiring diagram that I used.  The diagram also showed the Gibson 4-conducter wiring.  I glanced at it, and thought, hmmmm...that doesn't look anything like what I got off the Gibson website.

On the Gibson Dirty Fingers website, there is a link to download the wiring diagram.  This is the page that pops up:  http://www.gibson.com/Files/Downloads/PDFs/Diagrams/PUPwiring.pdf

I didn't really pay attention to the lack of a second set of pole pieces.  It would appear that I have wired it up using only one coil.  That might explain the trebly nature.

I just got done rewiring it.  OMG, I love this pup!  Definitely not harsh, at all, but then again, I play a lot of high-gain stuff.  Awesome growly tone with chords, which are still articulate.  Nice lead tone, as well.  Complements the Air Norton I have in the neck slot very well.

That's my V and the Dirty Finger's are just that.  Sorry!
The Gibson Deluxe (Johnny Smith) P/U is still the bomb.
I wish I had my Deluxe back.  Best P/U's in the world. :party07:

Graffiti62 said:
The Dirty Fingers pickup is a product of the Norlin days. The only gem from that dark and dank chapter in Gibson history is the Les Paul Deluxe.

Yep, the Norlin era... my '89 lefty Les Paul Custom (which thankfully I sold) was nothing but fancy-schmancy dead wood.

Back