GFS Single Coils

spauldingrules

Any experience with any GFS single coils for strat?  Opinions?  I am thinking of getting some to match my GFS Fat PAF humbucker, which I love by the way.

I can vouch for the 64 greybottom staggers; they appear to be out of the overwound set (7.2/8.0/9.6k); haven't tried the Boston Blues series yet. Avoid the cheaper offerings there, but the sets in the $70 range have worked for me.

I only have used their single coil 'sized' pick-ups.
the Lil Killers were magic combined with my Korina/Bloodwood Strat...
korinastrat004.jpg

Have anybody played with GFS Pro Tube Lipstick single coils??
It looks nice, but want to know the sound!

I suggested those to a kid that works at the local Guitar Center who was upgrading a Fat Strat; never played it, but he told me later that he wound up leaving the lipsticks on the neck/mid position, but wasn't happy with the lipstick double coil, and put a SD Invader in the bridge.

m4rk0 said:
I only have used their single coil 'sized' pick-ups.
the Lil Killers were magic combined with my Korina/Bloodwood Strat...
korinastrat004.jpg

Brudda, dats a fine lookin' Stratocaster you gotcherself there!

I'm using the GFS Alnico Boutique Strat pickups in Neck and Middle, and a GFS "lil Killer" in Bridge. I love the Boutique ones, they give a great convincing vintage tone (not hot at all, btw).  Sounds great through a tube amp with some reverb and a little chorus. They massively upgraded the tone of my original squier pickups, in every way. The lil killer would be good in a more metal-type guitar but doesn't work well with the boutiques, it just doesn't match up in this particular guitar.  It is about 10k while the other two are 5k or something. I'm going to get a new pickup cover and try the GFS Retrotron Nashville humbucker in the bridge.

Back