Getting the Fender burp in a Warmoth bass

Jimbodiah

Hi Guys,

I have a Fender MiM Jazz 5 and am in love with that fender jazz growl on the bridge pickup. I really want to build a Warmoth bass but am wondering if I can get that same growl back somehow. The idea was for a roasted swamp ash core and a fancy maple top with PJ pickups (Fralin in the J).

Every bass is its own thing but there’s nothing magical about the Fender logo. I did a 4 string Warmoth Jazz with Apollo pickups recently and its more or less a Jazz bass with a somewhat heavier and more stable neck. You never really know until you assemble the thing and plug in.

That said you could easily spec a Warmoth out just like your J5 down to probably the smallest detail if you wanted.

I'm not married to the brand, I just love the sound of it and am wondering if people that have built Warmoths experience the same sound.

I'd actually go for a DinkyJ 4-string P/J setup. Wondering how much the body wood choice will affect the sound I am after, ie alder vs swamp ash vs roasted swamp ash etc.

So long as you can find the magical quality in any specific variant of Fender, you should be fine with a parts bass.

If you're going through dozens of basses on the wall to find the magical one, then you're after something not quantifiable and it's a crap shoot.

All the fender Jazzes that I have heard seem to have it, so it is not a 1:1000 fluke sound I am after. I've heard other brands that don't have it at all though, still great basses but missing that magic for me (people are weird, right, or is it just me?).  :icon_scratch: :bass:

If you use the same pickup types and wiring scheme, there really should be no difference between a Fender and a Warmoth.
Same scale length, you could use the same woods--

Solid body guitars are great things, but the mystery mongering regarding certain sounds / tone gets a little silly.

Jimbodiah said:
All the fender Jazzes that I have heard seem to have it, so it is not a 1:1000 fluke sound I am after. I've heard other brands that don't have it at all though, still great basses but missing that magic for me (people are weird, right, or is it just me?).  :icon_scratch: :bass:

Has nothing to do with "weirdness," but rather that describing sound with text is purely subjective.

What sounds pleasant or desirable to you sounds like garbage to the next person (hence, the eternal war between rock/metal vs. hip-hop/rap vs. country* vs. pop).  What you describe as "growl" can mean something completely different to anyone else. What does "growl" mean?  Fuller bass, dialed back treble?  Distortion or fuzz?  Attack?  Sustain?

(All of these are rhetorical questions and don't need to be answered.)

* it is universal, however, that bro country is absolute crap.  I once heard a bro country cover of a Motley Crue song and had I not recognized the lyrics, I wouldn't have been able to tell that it was a cover song, based on both song construction and lyrical content.  Only things missing were sittin' in the back of the pick-up truck with a girl wearin' cut-off jeans and drinkin' beer watchin' fireflies poppin' like the Fourth of JOO-ly. :)

NedRyerson said:
* it is universal, however, that bro country is absolute crap.  I once heard a bro country cover of a Motley Crue song and had I not recognized the lyrics, I wouldn't have been able to tell that it was a cover song, based on both song construction and lyrical content.  Only things missing were sittin' in the back of the pick-up truck with a girl wearin' cut-off jeans and drinkin' beer watchin' fireflies poppin' like the Fourth of JOO-ly. :)

I think I know that song! Are they at the lake? Is the beer ice-cold?

there's only so much country music I can take and it's none

I would define growl as something with some grit, like maybe a little string rattle and overdrive with a bump @ 800 hz. Nothing clean. Enid Williams, Gail Greenwood, etc ya dig?

BroccoliRob said:

Well, I've got a little theory about that.  My theory is that 98% of any popular music genre is total crap.  This certainly applies to what people call 'country music', especially the 'country music' that originates from Nashville.

But - that last 2% is the best music of any type that you've ever heard in your life.  Mr BR, may I suggest that you have a listen to a little band called Jr Gone Wild?  Especially the older stuff.

Mayfly said:
BroccoliRob said:

Well, I've got a little theory about that.  My theory is that 98% of any popular music genre is total crap.  This certainly applies to what people call 'country music', especially the 'country music' that originates from Nashville.

But - that last 2% is the best music of any type that you've ever heard in your life.  Mr BR, may I suggest that you have a listen to a little band called Jr Gone Wild?  Especially the older stuff.

I also have a theory, and it's very simple.  In my opinion, Pop music sucks sewer water! ....................................... :icon_thumright:

Re the sound I am referring to:
https://youtu.be/tHz7bJSfbFU?t=23    0:23 to 0:45 ish, that honky growly sound

Jimbodiah said:
Re the sound I am referring to:
https://youtu.be/tHz7bJSfbFU?t=23    0:23 to 0:45 ish, that honky growly sound

At that time stamp he is demonstrating Fralin pickups in what is not a Fender Bass.  So that probably provides the answer. Can something that is not a Fender sound like that, well per the video you posted it can.

Does this help at all. Warmoth bass with Lindy Fralin pickups

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szYRsxx0AEI
[/youtube]

Bass on its own,

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEBRixW4tiQ[/youtube]

Another Warmoth bass with DiMarzios.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcFxpCMQp0Y
[/youtube]

Mayfly said:
BroccoliRob said:

See also, Sturgeon's Revelation:  90 percent of everything is crud [or crap, depends on your source].  From a quote by science fiction author and critic Theodore Sturgeon, who is quoted as saying, "Sure, 90 percent of science fiction is crud.  That's because 90 percent of everything is crud."

I think 90 percent is generous, and as you propose, Trevor, 98 percent may be closer to the mark.  But one person's crud may be another person's deeply held sentimental favorite. 

And now off I go to check out a new band. Thanks!

Bagman67 said:
Mayfly said:
BroccoliRob said:

See also, Sturgeon's Revelation:  90 percent of everything is crud [or crap, depends on your source].  From a quote by science fiction author and critic Theodore Sturgeon, who is quoted as saying, "Sure, 90 percent of science fiction is crud.  That's because 90 percent of everything is crud."

I think 90 percent is generous, and as you propose, Trevor, 98 percent may be closer to the mark.  But one person's crud may be another person's deeply held sentimental favorite. 

And now off I go to check out a new band. Thanks!

Let me help a bit with that!

https://vimeo.com/142410549

I've also got some bootleg cassette live recordings that I can dig out and digitize if there is interest.

Mayfly said:
Let me help a bit with that!

https://vimeo.com/142410549

I've also got some bootleg cassette live recordings that I can dig out and digitize if there is interest.

Thank you, brother.

Might I suggest for your delectation:  A Seattle band known as the Picketts, if you are not already familiar.  Perhaps the only country band to come out of the 90's grunge scene.

[youtube]9LiFMXY6_SE[/youtube]

Back