Gap-filling suggestions?

stubhead

Master Member
I need to put some dark fret line markers on a slotted maple fingerboard, and some light fret line markers on a pau ferro board, both of which I bought pre-slotted from LMII. The customary, "correct" way to do it is with some different-colored wood strips, all meticulous-like... :icon_scratch: These are for two different steel guitar fretboards. They don't have to take any wear, and I can just slobber something into the slots and sand it all flat at the end... I just tried to do it with some Milliput casting epoxy clay, but it was way too thick. I need something thicker than paint, but thinner than clay, that dries & hardens.... the slots are 0.023" wide, and I could dam up the sides of the slots to keep a liquid in there. Maybe.... I could mix something powdery with something wet, too. But what? :dontknow:

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Fingerboards&NameProdHeader=Fingerboard+Slotting

I could do it the correct way if I HAVE to, but jeez. :guitaristgif: Sounds like work.

Wood dust (from sanding off some of the right colored wood) and thin super glue, maybe? I know that's been used to repair fretboards.

The Grain fill stuff (high solids content urethane) that is black or pale would work.  Get the lines in there and them maybe fill the rest up with super glue.  Seems like there should be an easy way.  I have never done that so I don't know how long it would take.
Patrick

McFadden's grain filler, dyed whatever color, and cut with some lacquer thinner? Sure works great as grain filler.

Back