FS: MESA TA-15 Transatlantic

dmraco

Master Member
Selling my Mesa TA-15.  Comes with 5 year warranty and gig bag.  Brand new, never gigged.  Reason for selling is I am looking for something with a little more gain.
Price is $650 Shipped to the USA only.
TA15.jpg

Those are some nice amps. If you need it a little more raunchy, can't you just put a pedal in front of it to kick it up a notch? I know I prefer an amp that goes nuts on its own, but it's difficult to get a good clean tone out of a dirty amp, while you can dirty up a clean amp fairly easily these days.

Reviews suggest that the FLAVOR of gain may be the issue (obviously DMRACO can flesh this out) - it's an EL84-power-stage amp, which gives a different kind of high-gain awesomeness than one of those 6L6 or EL34 beasties. Vox aint' Marshall ain't Boogie MarkIV ain't Diezel etc. etc.  And the reviews give more props to this amp for its Vox-y/Fender tweed-y characteristics than for the other stuff it tries to do.

I heard one of these at a friend's house recently. Had it hooked up to a Mesa 4x10 cabinet. That thing is deceptively loud for its size. sounded great. though at the time i just wanted to leave the room because he was cranking it to make a point, so I can't say i have extensive experience

Cagey said:
Those are some nice amps. If you need it a little more raunchy, can't you just put a pedal in front of it to kick it up a notch? I know I prefer an amp that goes nuts on its own, but it's difficult to get a good clean tone out of a dirty amp, while you can dirty up a clean amp fairly easily these days.

that is what I have been doing.  Work great for solos but a bit muddy in the lower registers.  I have tried a couple of different pedals.  One that is working OK now is a MXR Zakk Wylde OK, all the controls set at noon.

Well, if it still doesn't love you, then I suppose you have to get a divorce. That's a good price for the unit, so hopefully someone here has been jonesing for one.

yeah...no wiggle room.  Priced to sell.  considering replacing with this...
89553_p.jpg

Play it before you buy it. I suspect there isn't going to be a great deal of difference between that and the other. A tube rectifier isn't as magical a thing as some would have you believe, and in most cases is simply another early point of failure.

Back