FS: Black VIP Body [SOLD]

Cagey

Mythical Status
I made mention in another thread of a body I want to sell, and thought I'd create a "for sale" thread dedicated to it in case somebody's looking for something like this specifically. This is it...

IMG_1274_Sm.JPG

IMG_1275_Sm.JPG

IMG_1279_Sm.JPG

It's a chambered Mahogany body with a Maple top. I don't know what it weighs, but it's not heavy. I doubt it's much more than 4lbs. Bridge route is for an Original Floyd Rose, and the studs are already installed. Also, it has a chrome "football" jackplate installed. It came to me with 2 pots, a switch, and chrome strap buttons, which I'll also include, for whatever that's worth.

As you can see, it's in very good condition. The only flaws seem to be where the strap button hole was drilled in the upper horn. You can see it in the second picture above. Nothing wrong with the hole, it's rotated just off the tip more than I'd have done it.

Also, on the back it's possible to see around the edges of the control cavity cover where the finish buffer was a bit ambitious. Nothing serious, and it doesn't really show up in the picture, but you can see it in real life if you're looking for it.

Obviously, it's been assembled before - witness the aforementioned straplock holes and the holes are already there for the pickup rings.

I don't have a neck for it, and don't want to invest in the necessary Floyd I wouldn't like. Don't know what I was thinking about when I bought it. But, maybe somebody here is lusting after a VIP? It's a nice body style. Kinda like a sharp-edged Strat with a carved top.

This would be $600+ new... $250 and it's yours, shipped anywhere in the CONUS. I'm willing to ship elsewhere, but of course additional charges would apply.

I wasn't looking for a VIP, but the lust is quite strong for this one.
If it's still around after this weekend I may be able to convince the Finance Department.

They're a sharp design, so it's easy to lust after. Carved tops always look special, so this would make a fine fiddle. But, I still have a couple VIP bodies in the pipe so I don't really need another one. Time to cut my losses before I start throwing more money into it.

It's good you know when to quit. As for me, I'm not always that smart <grin>

Here's your chance to redeem yourself, though. You know you want it. Just buy it. Do it for the children. Baby needs new pickups.

I definitely want it... even though I'm already building a Jaguar. Gotta see what can be done.

Too late. It's sold.

I love waking up with notices from PayPal! <grin>

:headbang1: Probably for the best. Now I don't have to figure out how to use a floyd.  :cool01:

I think I've spent at least 3 hours trying to figure out if I want to dress it in black or chrome hardware, and what pups might look best on it.
This is the kind of problem I like to have.

It'd look good either way. It's a gloss black, so it's always throwing highlights. Between those and chrome hardware, it would be a sorta dark and sparkly thing. But, a "None more black" theme would look great, too. That's where I was going to go with it.

You can get a neck painted for roughly the same money as the clears they normally offer in the builder, so I thought of getting a Maple neck painted gloss black, with a jet black Ebony 'board, no inlays, black TUSQ nut, and SS6100s. All that on 24.75" conversion neck with a Warmoth headstock. That prices out around $390 or so. All black hardware, black pickups, and the only thing that wouldn't be black would be the frets and strings. You could name it "Dark Matter", or something like that <grin>

The other way I though of going would be to do an exotic and have an Ebony veneer put on the headstock. I think that's only a $45 adder. Then, looking at it from head on it would be all black, but you'd still have a raw neck.

I hadn't thought of this route before just now, but since it's black, anything will look good with it. So, if you've ever lusted after a Bloodwood, Purpleheart, Padouk, or other unusual-colored exotic neck, this would be a great opportunity to indulge yourself.

DR does make black strings, but I don't care for the feel of their coating.
I'm planning on an ebony fretboard no inlay Warmoth headstock.

I think black guitars look best with all black hardware and an all-maple neck. I have been lusting for one for forever.

Edit: Like this one, http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=5693.0, I knew I could find it.

It'll probably be more like
693px-Alex_Lifeson6.jpg

minus binding, and probably without fret inlay.

After seeing it, my wife told me "I like it, but your next guitar has to be an actual color"
(I've only owned black guitars)

Back