From a tree in the yard he grew up in

NQbass7

Saw this on Reddit

http://imgur.com/9t9Oe

9t9Oe.jpg

Was this someone from here and I just missed it? If not... let's get them in here.

That's nice. I'd like to be able to do that.

If you have a half hour or so, you might want to read through this highly educational Strat build tutorial from Ron Kirn. He builds his guitars out of wood he harvests off his homestead as well.

I just finished one that's from a tree my dad planted when I was a kid, it was my entry in the TDPRI 2012 Build Challenge. The neck is from some wood he had in his shop when I cleaned it out. None of the blanks were large enough for a full scale guitar so the body is 90% scale and the neck is a 24" scale with some rosewood in the middle to make it wide enough to use.

tele_5385_l.jpg

Thanks guys. The rosewood was pulled out of his shop too. He used to build banjos back in the late 70s, early 80s and still had a lot of stuff in his shop 20 years later.

big bob said:
that looks great, any shots of the back?

tele_5382_l.jpg

The burst looks different depending on the light. I used ReRanch's two color burst in aerosol cans. Flash photos seem to bring out more of the red. I can't seem to find any good examples of that online so I guess you'll have to take my word for it. This one kind of shows it.
tele_5238_l.jpg

On March 15, the day after I started working on it, our house tangled with a tornado. I had plans of putting a tornado inlay on the fretboard but decided against it. The 15th fret was going to be the center of the swirls, with an abalone dot to give it a darker look. The tornado didn't make it but the dot did. It's not nearly as "different" looking from the other dots as I thought it would be. Oh well... The tornado would have swirled around that dot and stretched down to the 17th or 18th fret. Decided not to risk messing up the board with my first attempt at an inly. there was a deadline on the build after all and I had already lost some time due to the storm.
tele_5303_l.jpg

Back