Frets

stratplayer1

So I've had my Warmoth for a couple month's and it plays great but I'd like to lower my action as it isn't as low as I like. But, when I set it lower it buzzes on the last fret from like the 14th through 21st and on the 9th through 13th. I'm assuming the 14th and last frets are high. Do I need to buy the fancy tools from stew-mac to resolve this or is there another way to level, crown and polish, like house hold stuff?
Any advice is greatly appreciated =)

There are times when you need to step back and just think to yourself..  should I just take it to a pro?. That's what I would do. 

Yea, fretwork isn't something to be taken lightly... If you have to ask questions about frets and fretwork then you don't know enough about it to work on it.

Take it to a pro.

check the straightness of the neck, if it's dead straight, then a fret leveling is in order, if you have a compound radius neck, take it to a pro!
if it's a neck in the low price point, and dead straight, and not a compound . . . I'd say go ahead and DIY. just read up on it well.
it's REALLY easy to do.  and you can contact me and I'll point you in the right direction , if you want. :hello2:

Yeah, I've thought about taking it to a pro but I don't know of any reputable ones in the area, and I'd like to learn my self. I mean I grasp the basic concept of it and it doesn't sound to hard to do, should i just buy the proper tools and a good book?

Good reference material.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Books,_plans/Building_and_repair:_Fretting/Guitar_Player_Repair_Guide.html
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Books,_plans/Building_and_repair:_Fretting/Fret_Work_Step_By_Step.html

It's possible to do yourself, if you have the RIGHT tools, and work VERY slowly.

Better yet, try to score a cheapo junk neck somewhere and practice on it.  I know music stores around me that have boxes full of old 80s kramer necks with floyd rose nuts that they can't GIVE away... perhaps you can find a cheapo neck and try to practice.

Yeah I've got a cheap squire strat, that I can practice on, what tools should I buy? A sanding block, fret file, and polishing stuff thats it right?

Very first thing you should buy is "Guitar Players Repair Guide 3rd Edition" by Dan Erlewine.  Everything else can wait till you read that.  You'll have a better idea of what tools etc after

I am a total idiot when it comes to guitar tech types of stuff, but I recently got Erlewine's book/cd and I think it is great. There are a lot of areas that are way over my head, and I have no desire to buy the tools or learn the proper procedure. But, at least I feel like I know what I am paying the tech to do now. And there are some procedures that are a peice of cake for me to do, but was terrified to try before I read Erlewine's book.

And, NO, I am not a compensated sponsor.

Kublai said:
And there are some procedures that are a piece of cake for me to do, but was terrified to try before I read Erlewine's book.
And, NO, I am not a compensated sponsor.

Exactly, spot on
and funny too! :laughing7:

I would have any fret-work performed by a pro, but first I'd check things like neck relief, nut height, neck angle, bridge angle, etc.
How low are you trying to go? You shouldn't need to go any lower than 1/16" @ 12th fret..

i actually called some reputable techs here
but all said
"compound radius ? the work is the same, don't worry about it"

don't think i feel confident anymore, any work i done best was by myself

the action is closer to 2/16ths at the 12th But the frets mentioned are a bit high anyway so why not make it perfect regardless, but its just a preference it still plays great now but I'd like it a bit lower.

Back