fretless setup

S

swarfrat

Neck is on the way. Should I expect any tech to know what a good fretless setup is like, or look for someone who specializes or at least plays?  I'm fine with twiddling screw adjustment s, but not up on nut filing.  Since I'm new to fretless and nut filing I figured I would get someone to do this for me.  I guess if I buy the files I have  two mini basses needing setup as well.

After a few days I sorta figured I have enough basses in the house that I found a set of hosco files that will cover 0.045 to 0.130 for $55. I'll bite. With the fretless I imagine I might want to experiment a bit. Some like it set up for mwah on the open strings and some like it set up a bit higher. I suspect I'll want mine set up on the higher side, but we'll see.

Looks like I'll be getting plenty of bass nut slotting practice. This is on my son's new "lefty"
koN3y93.jpg

swarfrat said:
Looks like I'll be getting plenty of bass nut slotting practice. This is on my son's new "lefty"
koN3y93.jpg
Well someone at the factory wasn't paying attention I guess. And if those slots are angled at the bottom, you can't just turn it around either. Not unless their awfully high.
New nut time, but you should be able to use that one to copy the spacing over to the new one.

Curses. I'm now up to files, blanks, and now a sanding jig. Been sanding all evening to take 0.020 off a blank that was a tad thicker than advertised (was about 0.165") still got 20 thou to go.

tools are a sunk cost but looking around at the project pile I realistically have 2 basses and a guitar needing a complete nut, and a guitar and a bass that need some filing. Probably worth it.

When I saw I still had 20 to go ibbroke down and bought one of the roller sanding jigs that does thickness too

Can't have too many good tools! I broke down and bought a set of nut files a while back. Don't need them very often, (like twice since buying them), but a Godsend when I do. Good luck with the fretless work!

Okay, roughing the blank is still a chore, but I used a radiused sanding block, and that was way better than trying to rough near the line. I have an idea for a jig that will make radiusing the blank easier, once I get through a couple projects I'll throw it up.

Rada! The first halfway decent nut. I marked it at 0.040" + 1mm (the thickness of my pencil lead), and just went at it with the Hosco slotting files. (Can't find my slitting saw, and I don't think it really saves any time. It might be easier to keep straight, and I have an idea for that too, but in the end I just held it at a flat surface and tried to keep it perpendicular to the nut.

index.php

Attachments

• IMG_20210628_200231144.jpg
    IMG_20210628_200231144.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 185
And the lefty nut roughed in. Whew. Lot of work but going faster. After I do a proper setup on them, I might be ready to tackle a guitar nut for my Tele.

Back