Fretboard Replacement?

Muiren

Has anyone had experience replacing the fretboard on a Warhead neck? I am trying to think of a way to achieve the custom neck I want. One idea was to get a pre-built neck and pay a luthier to add the features I want, an Elforyn synthetic ivory fretboard with EVO Gold Frets. I've attached the concept art I created.

Attachments

• siofra-tech_warmoth-warhead_24-fret_02_Ælfin_1160px.png
    siofra-tech_warmoth-warhead_24-fret_02_Ælfin_1160px.png
    1,022 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
It is an interesting concept, however rather than pulling a fretboard off and installing a new one, it may be better to create a neck from scratch.

However, that said, I have a couple of reservations of the idea of using Elforyn as a fretboard material. If Elforyn resembles the properties of ivory it may not be suitable to fret into as it may not compress around the fret tang, meaning the frets would have to be glued with epoxy, probably. Also, as the neck wood will move slightly with the seasons etc, the elforyn as it probably will stay rigid most likely will mean it may be difficult to make the neck playable via a truss rod. The only way to know for certain would be prototyping but I suspect this will be the case.

Another possibility would be to use ebony or an ebony substitute for the fretboard and Elforyn for the inlays and possibly as binding for the neck.

Elforyn is worth looking at for sure as a nut material.

It is an interesting concept, however rather than pulling a fretboard off and installing a new one, it may be better to create a neck from scratch.

However, that said, I have a couple of reservations of the idea of using Elforyn as a fretboard material. If Elforyn resembles the properties of ivory it may not be suitable to fret into as it may not compress around the fret tang, meaning the frets would have to be glued with epoxy, probably. Also, as the neck wood will move slightly with the seasons etc, the elforyn as it probably will stay rigid most likely will mean it may be difficult to make the neck playable via a truss rod. The only way to know for certain would be prototyping but I suspect this will be the case.

Another possibility would be to use ebony or an ebony substitute for the fretboard and Elforyn for the inlays and possibly as binding for the neck.

Elforyn is worth looking at for sure as a nut material.
Thanks, I exchanged letters with Warmoth Custom Shop and settled on this.
  • Construction Modern
  • Shaft Wood Quartersawn Maple
  • Fretboard Wood Quartersawn Maple
  • Ebony Veneer Peghead/Headstock
  • Nut Width 1-11/16" (43 mm) - Modern Medium
  • Oriented Right-Handed Reverse
  • Neck Back Profile Standard Thin
  • Fretboard Radius Straight 12"
  • Number of Frets 24
  • Binding None
  • Fret Size & Material GD6100 Jumbo (Gold)
  • Tuner Hole Size Schaller/Modern Fender/Sperzel (25/64")
  • Inlay Shape Sharkfin Inlay Material Black
  • Side Dots Black Side Dots
  • String Nut Earvana Nut - GraphTech Black TUSQ XL
  • Mounting Holes Standard 4-Bolt
  • Neck Heel Shape Strat Shape

Back