For any Klein pickup fans

musicispeace

For vintage spec type strat pickups I have been a fan of Chris Klein's work. I have his Epic '56 set, which I love and describe as exhibiting "texture" that matches well with using pick dynamics. Had a chance to play the Epic '59 set in a strat yesterday and was blown away. I suspect each model year of his Epic series voices in their own unique way and nuances and the '59s have their own thing from my beloved '56s.

Firstly, I think for any SRV song/style players these are a great choice. Each of the three pickups is strong and if you like the quack between the bridge and middle these have it the most I've personally heard. The bridge is strong and not ice picky, it simply rings out. The neck is a great strat neck pickup. Given enough time and income I'd like to have Kelin's '54s and '55s in my collection as well and see what those variations are like.

But for those interested in vintage output strat pickups I have been happy with Klein. Do remember that the Epic series is not RWRP nor will they do that with those on request. They also have a Gilmour inspired set with a specific bridge pickup and the equivalent of their '54s in the middle and neck from what they have told me so they have a bit more than only the vintage style options.

I have a set of Klein 55's epic series Strat pickups...Unfortunately waiting on a Warmoth guitar to put em in Roasted Ash... I also want to get a set of Epic '58's., i have that Warmoth 3.2 lb. 1 piece Warmoth Alder body for that, but no neck yet.  I also have a set of Klein '57 Epics in a built Strat Old Dimarzio Strat guitar w/ old Mity Mite neck that I am very pleased with.

arealken said:
I have a set of Klein 55's epic series Strat pickups...Unfortunately waiting on a Warmoth guitar to put em in Roasted Ash... I also want to get a set of Epic '58's., i have that Warmoth 3.2 lb. 1 piece Warmoth Alder body for that, but no neck yet.  I also have a set of Klein '57 Epics in a built Strat Old Dimarzio Strat guitar w/ old Mity Mite neck that I am very pleased with.

Very, very cool! The '55's seem to have incredible dynamics and sense of texture. I talked to a guy on the phone at a shop in Arizona who told me he had a set of the '57's in a strat in the shop as a demo guitar for Kleins and almost every person who plugged that guitar in wanted to buy it and raved about the pickups. Someday I want to shake Chris Klein's hand.

Shai`tan said:
I`m strongly considering the Klein Epic 59 Series for my next Partscaster.

I now have the Epic '59 set in a strat I got last year and they are really marvelous! (In my opinion)
If you are a into a sweet vintage strat sound/in the SRV ballpark sound I think you will love the '59s. Do remember that the Epic series is not RWRP in the middle pickup. There are more youtube videos with Klein Epic '59s now then when I first discovered Klein pickups so there are opportunities to get some idea in advance. In person I think they are dynamic and strong performers in every position.

musicispeace said:
Shai`tan said:
I`m strongly considering the Klein Epic 59 Series for my next Partscaster.

I now have the Epic '59 set in a strat I got last year and they are really marvelous! (In my opinion)
If you are a into a sweet vintage strat sound/in the SRV ballpark sound I think you will love the '59s. Do remember that the Epic series is not RWRP in the middle pickup. There are more youtube videos with Klein Epic '59s now then when I first discovered Klein pickups so there are opportunities to get some idea in advance. In person I think they are dynamic and strong performers in every position.
I am considering either Klein or Fralin pickups for my first strat build. For the Klein, for blues sounds, I mostly see Epic 69 pickups recommended. Do you know why, or either way, do you think 59's would be better? Also, for a loaded pickguard they have copper shielding on the pickups (for the 59's) and also ask if I want to pay $20 extra for Extra Shielding. Is the Extra Shielding necessary? Thanks!

Sorry to be late spotting your post. Work is eating me alive. As far as the shielding option for the '59 set as I understand it that ties back to how SRV supposedly had his pickups shielded. Without saying so directly I think Klein feels the '59 set is a good option for those seriously into SRV. Having a set of '59s in a guitar I would not disagree. Every position seems to be able to hold its own blues wise, which is good. My set is not shielded but I do have a Electro Harmonix Silencer noise gate to help me with single coil hum if it is really bugging me.

As for the '69s, I can only suspect that they are likely more on the Hendrix side of things. I have no experience with them so I can't say but I know they are popular.

For blues, which is home base for me in my relationship with music, I can say the '59s are indeed a solid set. The thing I like about Klein Epics (I have the '56 set and the '59) is that I think they are textural and responsive and I like that. I like the '56s but if I was asked to compare them with the '59s the '59s come across as a little more muscular but that does not mean the '56s can't evoke thoughts of a smoky, Dallas bar.

Back