foam for pickups

hachikid

I'm curious where I can get some of this stuff. not necessarily online, but places around town. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, either. I usually ask for "foam", but not sure how I should describe it further, or if that's what it's called.

any help?

I assume you mean for pickup mounting.  Try you local home improvement/hardware store.  Look for foam insulation or weather stripping.

I used this stuff from Fender.  I got it on fleabay for a couple bucks. 
It works great and did the trick...

Good luck &  :rock-on:

FenderFoam.png

That looks like closed-cell foam weatherstripping. Your local hardware store should carry it.

Alfang said:
What's the foam supposed to do?   I don't get it

The foam holds a single coil wood mounted pickup firmly in place.  You put it between the body and back of the pickup. 
I originally did the pickups on Cherry Bomb using just the small sections of rubber tubing on the screws to allow for height adjustment.
However, they really flop around using that method.  Placing the foam under the pickup really stabilizes the mount and your pickups don't look all crooked and flopping around. 
:rock-on:

I got a jazz bass build going right now. Im using the foam that came in the pickup box (dimarzio ultra jazz 5) looks like it should work just fine unless anybody here has had problems with doing this.

Brian

This set me back $4.49 CAD at the village hardware store. I estimate it will be enough for about 60 guitars.

Attachments

• foam.JPG
    foam.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 397
Back