Floyd Rose Tremolo Angled Neck Pocket Question

Hey!
I'm in the planning stages for building my own LA Hair Metal Warmoth 'Super Strat' guitar build. I want all the basic Hair Metal boxes checked - Floyd Rose trem, wide thin neck with a barely there finish, single volume pot, reversed headstock, etc... To be true to the era, I noticed that a lot of those guitars did not have recessed Floyds back in the day. Perhaps that idea wasn't developed until the 1990s? My question is about the angled neck pocket that Warmoth provides if you want a non-recessed Floyd trem routing on your body. I've read online that it's a mere 1%. I would think it's ramping upwards towards the bridge like a Les Paul? My question: is it just the floor of the neck pocket that's angled? Does Warmoth angle the end of the neck pocket where the end of the neck comes into contact with the guitar body? Even with a mere 1% angle, I would think that the neck would only contact the body along the lower edge of the joint if the back wall isn't angled along with the floor of the neck pocket - negatively effecting tone, sustain, shredability, etc... Thanks for the advice - really looking forward to making my own Warmoth hair metal special. Rock On!

Wow there is a lot to unpack here.

1) the recessed Floyd came around in the late 80s. Prior to that, the neck was angled about 2-3 degrees depending on which manufacture and such. This allowed for some range of pull up. The other style was the EVH style which was down only with the trem decked on the surface of the guitar. This requires about a 1 degree neck angle and is what Warmoth does for their non recessed floyd route.

2) I have had several of these bodies and have never noticed if the pocket is fully angled or just the flat bottom that is angled, but frankly it wouldnt matter because the vibration transfer is through the mechanical connection of the screws holding the neck to the body. Some bolt on joints dont even touch the back of the pocket.

Great info - yeah I've read about those 'Ghost Joints' on bolt-on neck before. My favorite being the borrowed homemade guitar that Billy Gibbons took on tour that had a massive gap along the side of the neck joint. Still - my overactive monkey brain likes to over-analyze things 24/4 non-stop. Kinda sucks, since some nights I cannot get any sleep. Oh well.

Back