Floyd rose routing

m165

Hi, looking for some advice.  I have this Strat body that's been knocking around for a few years and have decided its time to get it sorted, I have already purchased a neck, the Warmoth body came with a tremolo already on it but I've only just noticed its not correct as this body was routed for a Floyd Rose, anybody got any experience with sorting out this type of thing, I was hoping to install a Wilkinson Gotoh VS 100 that I already have, Thanks.

Attachments

• Warmoth routing 3.jpg
    Warmoth routing 3.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Warmoth bridge.jpg
    Warmoth bridge.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 62
From what I can see of the photos it looks a bit narrow between the posts to be prepared for a Floyd Rose.

The posts for a FR are 2.913" or 73.99mm or thereabouts centre to centre.

Can you measure what you have?

https://warmoth.com/guitar-bridge-routs

Its approx 64mm. I am guessing that the previous owner installed the studs for the bridge that he had (the one in the photo) but the routing is placed for a Floyd Rose, I did send a pic to the folks at Warmoth and they kindly replied saying this was a floyd rose route.

The posts look like Floyd Rose, but I am not aware of any FR bridge that has the post spacing that narrow.

Perhaps one of the other members may know what you have.

See later post probably a Boston T350

I am guessing that the previous owner drilled and installed the studs for the bridge that he had & not realized (like me) that it was routed for Floyd Rose.

m165 said:
I am guessing that the previous owner drilled and installed the studs for the bridge that he had & not realized (like me) that it was routed for Floyd Rose.

But it is not routed for a Floyd Rose...the spacing between the posts is too narrow. If you cannot fit any Floyd Rose or replacement that is available to it then it can not be a FR rout despite what someone at Warmoth said.

You could plug the existing holes and drill for new holes and fit new inserts positioned for the bridge you want to use. A drill press (pillar drill) would be the best option for drilling new holes.

Ok, I presumed that they were referring to the cavity route, ie it was in a different position to what it would be for a standard trem or vintage trem etc. Thanks for the help.

The cavity routs are mostly in the same position, with sometimes a variation in the width of the rout or whether it is recessed. This is why showcase bodies that have tremolos back cavities can be ordered with a number of options as the basic location is the same based on a Strat position.

I did some searching and I think what you have is possibly a Boston T-350.

https://bostonmusicalproducts.com/products/stringed-instruments/parts/tremolos-bridges-and-tailpieces/tremolos/t-350-c.html

That def looks like the trem that came with the body, I will have to move the posts though to get it into the correct position, I think, I'll know more when i get the neck hopefully this week, thanks so much for your help,

m165 said:
That def looks like the trem that came with the body, I will have to move the posts though to get it into the correct position, I think, I'll know more when i get the neck hopefully this week, thanks so much for your help,

Sure, you will need to plug the existing holes and position for new ones. Its possible for a Wilkinson VS100 you may need to broaden the cavity. See the link I posted earlier for bridge routs.

Those are Guitar Fetish saddles, that much I do know because I have a set on a spare Tele bridge.  The base plate looks like it came from an earlier version of an Ibanez GRX.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez/GRX20-Electric-Guitar-Black-Night-1275776901849.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAjw9-KTBhBcEiwAr19ig93KZHrAHpzcymt_V9QcKrjVjYesZpFHR0-MuyLK1U6QSf79cWAvDBoCxw0QAvD_BwE

Back