Floyd/Edge stud insert question

salcakes

I'm ordering a soloist body soon and had a question about stud inserts when it comes to the bridge. I have an original Ibanez Edge bridge (they're sized to fit into OFR cavities) that I'm going to install in the body.

When I order the body, I should be selecting "No Stud Install" correct? Furthermore, how difficult is it to insert the studs that the screws screw into?

Thanks!

If you send them the studs, they'll install them for $10. If you don't want to do that, then select "no stud install".

Installing them yourself is not terribly difficult, but it helps to have a press of some sort to insure they go in straight. They're a tight fit, and while you wouldn't think so, it's surprisingly easy to get them in all catawampus. Then the spacing can end up off just enough that the bridge won't mount and you have to invent all sorts of new cuss words to relieve the tension long enough to open a fresh beer and contemplate your fate.

If you have a drill press large enough (a 12" unit will do), it will serve as enough of a press to do it. It doesn't take a great deal of pressure. I use mine to press in string ferrules, tuner ferrules, bridge and tailpiece bushings, etc. You just adjust the chuck jaws to the appropriate diameter to apply an even pressure, and away you go.

The old style studs were 1 piece screws. The modern ones have the sleeve studs with the posts that screw into those.
Naturally the latter is a better design than the former.

I've put the inserts in for two bodies so far: a Floyd Rose and a Fender American Standard. Both were easy enough. The Floyd was a little bit harder: the body was a custom build and, as such, was finished after the holes were drilled. I didn't think to do it, but I should have removed the finish overlap from the holes. On the AmStd body, it was a showcase body and the stud holes were drilled through the finish, so were completely clean. They went in easy.

For both guitars, I put the screw into the insert, and gave it a few taps with a plain old claw hammer to get it started. At this point I just pulled them straight if needed. Then I put a leather belt across the top of the screw as a little bid of padding and protection against slips, and hammered it the rest of the way in. This was quite tough for the Floyd and I was hitting it pretty hard, but for the AmStd, I was able to just tap it in in a sensible manner.

Jumble Jumble said:
For both guitars, I put the screw into the insert, and gave it a few taps with a plain old claw hammer to get it started. At this point I just pulled them straight if needed. Then I put a leather belt across the top of the screw as a little bid of padding and protection against slips, and hammered it the rest of the way in. This was quite tough for the Floyd and I was hitting it pretty hard, but for the AmStd, I was able to just tap it in in a sensible manner.

I did it that way for years without a problem, although I usually used a magazine (or something like it) instead of a belt. It's just easier and faster with a press. Of course, not everyone has access to that sort of tool, so the brute force way works. Just about everybody has a hammer.

That will be a happy day for you. There are a lotta things you can do with a drill press.

If you have the studs, and have any sort of questions about it, send them to Warmoth and pay the ten bucks.  Here is my reasoning, when you are sitting there with the thing ready to go and you are getting everything straight and set there is always a million things that seem to get in the way and annoy you.  From the lights to the square that tells you it is straight and so on.  At this point ask yourself if this is worth ten bucks.  When I don't have to do it, hell no, I'll save the cash.  When I am staring at the monster thinking of all the absurd horrible made up because the imagination has entered hyperdrive problems, ten bucks would be a very inexpensive and welcome escape.  These things get easier to do if you've done them multiple ties, but that first time with your own really nice body, egad it messes with the noggin.
Patrick

I agree, but perhaps you start on a body/finish that you do not care as much about.  I can't tell from the OP, and if it is one of those jaw dropping bodies, well, I'd pass.  But, if it is something you are willing to try, then save the ten bucks.
Patrick

Also a good point.

I didn't learn to do fretwork or any of the trickier things I do on Warmoth parts. You find rag rides that if you screw up, you don't shed any tears. As you gain experience, you get the prettier girls to play with.

Back