Flame maple neck finish

KrisRichmond

How do I get a neck finish like this? (without buying a PRS private stock)

Attachments

• prs1.jpg
    prs1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 419
That's high-grade curly Maple neck meat that's been dyed blue, sanded back, and finished over in clear. I'm sure Warmoth has the wood and would do it, but I don't know what they'd charge. Call 'em up and ask for Rob. He does the custom finish quotes.

KrisRichmond said:
Oh, is that curly maple, that explains why it looks more figured than flame maple.

Thanks Cagey

"Flamed Maple" is a musical instruments industry term for curly Maple. They are the same thing.

The "flame" description came into vogue due to a finishing process created about 100 years ago. I think Gibson may have been the pioneers, but don't quote me. Still, it wouldn't surprise me - there was no such thing as "Korina" wood until they started using the term. Everybody else in the world calls it what it is - Limba.

Marketing weenies - you gotta hate 'em.

Anyway, if you put what's now called a yellow/red or cherry burst on a piece of Curly Maple, it sorta looks like a flame effect rendered in wood. That's where the name came from. Now, everybody in the music industry calls Curly Maple "Flamed" regardless of the finish color.

I see a difference between "curly" and "flame" maple.

The flame maple has a horizontal pattern (or vertical, if you turn it sideways), while the curly has almost a swirl (for lack of a better term) pattern. It's all figured wood, but the appearance is different.

Back