Flame Korina L5S

jackthehack

Epic Member
This is my new "favorite" guitar; may stay that way for a while, the ES335 is probably retired from this point on. Will try to get some sound clips up real quick, it sounds unbelievable in "acoustic" mode, not tremendously loud, but the sustain is incredible. Studying on making one additional mod: replacing stock TOM bridge with another with acoustic pickup built in. Korina hollow body + rosewood neck = the shitee! May have to do a Korina/rosewood Thinline later this year...

Body: Hollow Warmoth L5S with single F-hole, Flame Korina laminate top, black korina body, Gotoh T-O-M Bridgeall gold hardware with black accents, 35-40 coats of Tru-oil for finish.

Neck: Indian Rosewood with Brazilian Rosewood fretboard,  Warmoth Pro 10/16 radius, 1 11/16 corian nut, MOP dots, 6130 nickel frets, Planet Waves auto-trim tuners

Electronics: Gold Rio Grande TX/BBQ humbuckers, wired "normal" Gibson style, 500K CTS volume pots, 250K CTS tone pots, .049 ceramic tone caps

L5S1.jpg

L5S2.jpg

L5S3.jpg

L5S4.jpg

L5S5.jpg

A really incredible guitar, I can imagine (almost how it sounds). I'm planning something pretty similar.

But I hate to say, I'm not wild about the finish

Piezo - Still researching alternatives; 250K tone pots - Prefer the tone when wiring RG TX/BBQ set

After playing around with this some more, decided to forgo adding a piezo bridge; on neck pickup rolled down to 4 or less on volume and amp set to real clean I get a good enough acoustic sound for my purposes. Didn't really want to take it apart/drill on it anyway...

That's what I want to do. A few variations: full Pau Ferro neck, P90 neck/HB bridge.

WOW. Really nice one. Jack you're the man. btw I tend to not use my piezo bridge all that much; it's nice for some special stereo effects but still too quacky when used by itself, to be that much of an addition.

I really love the way this one turned out!!
This guitar has all my favorite ingredients!! Korina, Rosewood, RG BBQ/Texas set, Planet Waves, etc..
Can't wait to hear the sound samples!!!

No tornadoes, but 80 mph straight line winds and no electricity from Thurs nite till this afternoon; makes a pretty fair acoustic, too!

Jack,

Simply awesome!

Did you use grain filler on this beauty?  And if so, did you apply if before or after you applied the minwax stain (I read in your other post about this guitar about the minwax stain).

Enjoy!

-Chris

CDuda said:
Jack,

Simply awesome!

Did you use grain filler on this beauty?  And if so, did you apply if before or after you applied the minwax stain (I read in your other post about this guitar about the minwax stain).

Enjoy!

-Chris

Grain wasn't very deep on this one, like I've seen on some other Korina I've ordered, so I "filled" it with Tru-oil. That being said, it took around 40 coats - maybe more, I truly lost track, almost two bottle of Tru-oil and a month to finish. Wouldn't do that again, but instead would fill over the stain with clear prior to Tru-oiling.

Hey Jack,

Did you ever make any audio samples of this guitar? I would love to hear them if you did.

Also, you mentioned that this guitar has replaced your 335. How does this guitar compare (similarities and differences) to your 335?

Thanks!

Back