Fixing small finish pulloff on warmoth finished body?

sduck

Hi folks - wondering if anyone has any tips about how to fix or minimize this.

This is a warmoth finished body, and the neck pocket was a bit too tight, and it pulled a bit of the finish off. Not something I normally notice, but I'm doing a bit of fixup work on this guitar, and will have the neck off for a bit, so thought maybe this is something I could address.

What I'm hoping for is some kind of solvent or similar that'll sort of melt into this and allow me to make this a bit less obvious. Any tips are welcome!

orOzn3ml.jpg

Because of the type of finish a solvent as you suggested is not an option as it is not lacquer. 

The best I can suggest would be using some CA glue to stop it chipping off but there is a risk it may end up looking the same and may accentuate the look of it as it is now.

If it is an unfinished neck it might be worth taking a small block with sandpaper to make the fit a little less tight.

Out of curiosity - what kind of finish are these? It's a gloss finish, but there's not any more info on warmoth's site.

Not on a warmoth finish, but on other poly based finishes I’ve used ca glue effectively. Remove the loose bits carefully with a tiny bit if sand paper, clean real good with naphtha.  then build up the finish with ca. once to desired level buff with Meguiars  x.

sduck said:
Out of curiosity - what kind of finish are these? It's a gloss finish, but there's not any more info on warmoth's site.

From the Warmoth site.

"Urethane is our primary finishing material though we do use several thin coats of polyester as a base coat to fill the wood grain. "

https://www.warmoth.com/Paint/Paint.aspx

Really thin superglue (see stewmac or Amazon) can generally penetrate that lifted up gap in the finish. When it works it's ideal because that should take care of the cloudy finish and prevent it from extending further.
I just don't know if it would be able to penetrate all the way, as it's lifted up quite a bit far away from the edge, but I'm optimistic it would.

The other way it to chip the finish as suggested and build up a finish.
For that superglue can work but it can be messy and more unpredictable.
It can turn white if you put too much of it or if it's too humid, in which case it generally ends up being not super smooth.
I've had much better results using Stewmac's clear lacquer repair touch up pen for example.
If you go superglue I would avoid the thin superglue variant, it's probably too liquid and would run everywhere. A medium  thickness one may work best. Luckily your body is poly and should be impervious to acetone, whereas superglue will easily be removed.

Found the before/after pic the last time I tried the thin superglue trick.
I had just received the body brand new, and I don't recall doing anything particularly wrong when fitting the neck but this happened:
EjqLdDa.jpg

The thin superglue managed to penetrate well enough, though not completely. I think it'll have a easier time in your case (lot more room to enter):
XpvMdwv.jpg

Back