First warmoth project!

vonterk

UPS dropped off my new project today  :headbang1:

Swamp Ash body with Flamed Maple top.
Imbuia neck with ebony fretboard and SS frets.

guitar1.jpg

guitar2.jpg

neck.jpg

Gotoh - Wilkinson locking trem, planet waves tuners and I went with SD pups (Screamin' Demon bridge and Alnico II Pro neck). 

My only question is on finishing the neck.  I know Imbuia doesn't require a finish, but has anyone had any experience with it?

Don't see too many of these around. Love the neck back, I think the little grain / knot / whatever marks look so cool.

Thanks! I got them both from the showcase.  I had actually never even seen a musiclander before I started looking for a guitar body.  I can't wait until this baby is finished  :toothy10:.

I must say that body/ neck match does give the guitar a rather balanced look (particularly with the 3 + 3 headstock).

Good flamed sunburst too. :icon_thumright:

Where are you thinking of putting the output socket? I reckon a neat place to put one, would be the inside curve of the rear of the body, and it is quite close to the control cavity. You'd have the plug pointing upwards and out of your way if playing standing up with a strap.

Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Nice guitar! Please keep putting pictures up of this thing, we don't see many musiclanders and yours looks very classy.

Very nice.  Good choice on the pups, as well.  The Screamin Demon, is a very versatile and under-rated pickup, IMHO.

DocNrock said:
Very nice.  Good choice on the pups, as well.  The Screamin Demon, is a very versatile and under-rated pickup, IMHO.

I haven't had good luck with the Screamin' Demon.  It sounded to thin and compressed for my tastes, and I could not get it to voice well with another pickup.

OzziePete said:
Where are you thinking of putting the output socket? I reckon a neat place to put one, would be the inside curve of the rear of the body, and it is quite close to the control cavity. You'd have the plug pointing upwards and out of your way if playing standing up with a strap.

Look forward to seeing the finished product.

I had Warmoth drill the output socket, it's almost directly under the switch on the bottom curve.  I'll start a new thread later in the work in progress section once I start putting everything together  :toothy10:.

I haven't used Imbuia, but have a number of other exotic raw necks. I wouldn't even think about applying a finish until you've played it raw for a while, you'll probably decide you don't want to finish it in that case.

+1 to what Jack said.  I have noticed that with the two necks I have from Warmoth they felt different.  Same wood, stats everything... One just got a bit more sealer or something.  After about a day of messing with it, it became identical to the other neck, super slick satiny sweet.  Point being, play with it for a while before rushing into finishing it.
Patrick

I finished it up today!  :headbang: :hello2:

guitarfinished.jpg

It's got lots of fingerprints, but it was hot and I was working in the garage.  :dontknow:  I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow.

http://s515.photobucket.com/albums/t352/vonterk/Guitar%20project/  - that should be the link to my progress, it took a while but it was definitely worth it! After playing it a little I doubt I will want to do anything to the neck, it feels great raw.

Fantastic build!  :headbang:

Incidentally, how well does that body shape agree with a stand?

Back