First Warmoth Build!

Tom.Clips

Gday Guys!
Another warmoth n00b here :)
I'm buildin a Warmoth SuperStrat, and I'm lookin' for some feedback. I've ordered a few parts, but they havent arrived yet, so no photo's at the moment!
The body is a Basswood Strat, with a Quilt maple top, finished in the Tigers eye finish. From what I've seen on warmoth forums, the finish is pretty sexy,  :laughing7:
Rear Routed, with a Black Original Floyd Rose, EVH D-Tuna, and Bare Knuckle Pickups! VH-II humbucker in the Bridge, and 2 Irish tour Single Coils in the Neck and Middle. I'm going to be putting some EMG plastic covers over the pups, just to give them a cleaner look. Direct wood mount aswell. 550K Pots. :)
The Neck and fingerboard is either going to be birdseye maple or 1/4 Sawn maple, but I havent decided yet, and I can't choose between just the standard black dots or M-O-P dots on the fingerboard. some help?
Fingerboard will have the Warmoth Compound Radius, Stainless Steel Vintage Frets? R3 Locking Nut. and Grover tuners.  :glasses9:
Basically all the hardware is black.

I've done my research and I'm HOPING the combination of woods and Pups will give me a Sexy 80's metal tone, similar to Dokken, and when switched over to the Irish tours, Sweet sexy blues we've all come to love. I'm looking at amps to run it through, and a Marshall Plexi #39 mod clone looks pretty promising. I believe it's a clone of the Amplifier george Lynch used for Lock and Key? and I think slash also used the same amp for the rehearsals for AFD.

But yea, any advice, thoughts and whatnot are all welcome. :)
I've only ordered the Body and the Floyd Rose for now, and that costed me a small fortune anyway, and I'll post pics when they arrive. :D

everything sounds great, except the basswood. why basswood? its tonedead! you could've chosen alder or mahogany instead... :(

The basswood matches the build. Sounds a lot like the EVH Wolfgang Special specs. Maple with black dots to match the black hardware. A quilted peghead veneer in tigers eye would finish it nicely.

Orpheo said:
everything sounds great, except the basswood. why basswood? its tonedead! you could've chosen alder or mahogany instead... :(

Basswood is far from tonedead, rofl.  OP, pay no attention to the guy who prefers purple and gold entirely too much!

-Mark

Go with the birdseye if you can afford it. Stainless steel frets are a must. Bright and smooth to play on and won't wear out like nickel. I went with MOP dots on my latest instead of black, and it worked out nicely. The black would match the hardware a bit better. YMMV. If you're building a shred machine, I'd also recommend the Wizard back profile. It's great to be able to wrap the fingers around the neck and get the fingertips right on the lower strings.

I think birdseye with mop dots would look good. Although can't go wrong with black dots.

Orpheo said:

From what I've read, Basswood on it's own does sound a little neutral, but combined with a maple cap, it gives it more colour. We'll see how things turn out
The guys from Bare Knuckle Pickups and Suhr agreed that Basswood/Maple is the best for what tones I'm after.

Oh, I forgot to mention before. I'm planning on buying the neck with the Warhead Headstock. I thought it looked a bit sleeker than the standard fender. :)

Back