First Warmoth Build: Body + Neck

D.B

Hey everyone,

Been planning on starting a Warmoth build for the last couple years but haven't been able to round to it due to university and other commitments. After vigorous saving and planning, I've finally spec'd out a guitar which I'm sure I'll love when its complete. The folks at Warmoth helped me with some custom requests as well, that was very appreciated. I received my order yesterday.

Body
Type - Jazzmaster
Wood - Roasted Alder
Pickup Routs - Humbucker & P90
Controls - Volume, Tone, Tone
Pickup Selector - Either drill for a three-way switch or ream out existing hole for three-way switch.
Bridge Rout - Hipshot
Neck Rout - Tele w/ 720 mod + Contoured Heel

I will finish this guitar with a solid satin colour, probably a grey/slate blue. I'll be adding a small copper scratch plate to the bottom shoulder as well.

Edited_6.jpg

Neck
Type - Tele (Modern Construction)
Shaft Wood - Padouk
Fretboard Material - Ebony (Black)
Neck Profile - 59 Roundback
Radius - 10-16 Compound
Frets - SS 6150
Nut - GraphTech Black TUSQ XL
Side Dots - Moonglow
Inlay - 12th Fret Only Moonglow

I'm really liking the grain pattern with the padouk shaft, much more expressive than I thought it would be.
I was just expecting some form of straight line pattern from what I've seen previously with this material.

Edited_5.jpg

Edited_3.jpg

Edited_8.jpg

Finally, here is the pair together. I'm looking forwarded to getting this one under way and finished.

I'll post the progress of the body finishing in the 'Work in progress' section and share photographs of the completed guitar all together.  :)

Edited1.jpg

D.B said:
I will finish this guitar with a solid satin colour, probably a grey/slate blue. I'll be adding a small copper scratch plate to the bottom shoulder as well.

I am interested to see that! Looks like a cool build  :icon_thumright:

Thanks everyone, Starting the spraying process this week, can't wait.

Just a quick query whilst I'm here, You can't see it in the photographs previously posted but there is a very distinctive single line against the grain on the back of the neck. More noticeable when looking at certain angles. Visually, it doesn't bother me at all, I assume its just part of the grain in some form but just seems out of place so thought I'd get your take on it is as you're all much more knowledgable about this kind of stuff.  :)

Line_in_the_grain.jpg

Hardwood trees grow slowly and generally have lived pretty long lives by the time they're big enough to harvest. Lotta history goes by, all outdoors, and some of it leaves a mark. Floods, drought, lightning strikes, insect invasions, diseases, extraordinary weather like early or late deep-freezes, etc.

I don't know what could have caused that mark, but if I had to guess, I'd say a long-standing flood.

Cagey said:
Hardwood trees grow slowly and generally have lived pretty long lives by the time they're big enough to harvest. Lotta history goes by, all outdoors, and some of it leaves a mark. Floods, drought, lightning strikes, insect invasions, diseases, extraordinary weather like early or late deep-freezes, etc.

I don't know what could have caused that mark, but if I had to guess, I'd say a long-standing flood.

Ahh interesting, Its a nice piece of visual character. Thanks for the insight.  :icon_thumright:

Wow, look forward to seeing this finished. Love my padauk neck... beautifully grained wood!

I've been saying for ages how the Tele headstock goes well with any/all Fender body designs. Threads like this only reinforces that belief...looks great. They look better (to me, anyway) on both the Precision and Jazz Bass bodies (AND on the offsets, as above) as well! There are no sharp cutbacks/batwing(?) edges on any of these bodies, so the non-Tele Fender headstocks (regardless of era/size) always seemed an odd, out-of-place mismatch to me.

The classic (and classy) Tele peghead is the only thing I'll use on any Fender-style thing I put together, guitar or bass. As far as I'm concerned, Mr. Fender got it right the first time out. Just my opinion (but I'm right).  :icon_tongue:

Back