First Post and Seeking Advice!

ape2000

Hey there! Name's Raf.

I have a guitar that a luthier assembled for me maybe five years ago. I had him build me a korina Jazzmaster body that I purchased a Warmoth neck for.

This thing has been and continues to be my number one. No matter what else I buy, I want it to be my jazz. It's got a wenge neck and ebony board. Pair that with the korina body, neck p90, firebird middle, and Wilde humbucker in the bridge, and it's perfect for me.

While I'm still fairly young, I am prone to shoulder impingement. I'm looking into straps to help with that; however, I play in two bands and have finally acquiesced that for the price point, I'm better off with another custom.

I'll probably just go HH as far as pickups go; however, any recommendations on something lighter weight that I may still enjoy?

Thinking going J style again. Maybe chambered to help with weight? But would a wenge/ebony or Goncalo neck lead to it still being heavy? Or worse yet, would it cause neck dive? (note: I'm probably going to go for a boatneck profile or similar. Big hands.)

After having a wenge neck, I really have gotten used to playing something open-pored and fast.

This post is all over the place, but I hope you get it.

Cheers,
Raf

PS I'll get around to posting pics of my main axe!

How about a pic of your current axe?  As to advice on a jazzmaster and body weight take a look at my current jazzmaster build.  It’ll give you some ideas.  Body is 3.3 lbs, neck is 1.8 lbs. peruse the showcase to get a sense of how much things weigh.  You might be interested in the super wide neck offerings by warmoth.

A burnished roasted maple neck is neither open-pored nor necessarily light - but it is very fast, very stable, and if you want to cut some weight, you can choose a non-double truss rod design, when while being less stable, would be lighter.  I haven't owned an off-set (yet), so I'm not sure about neck dive, but Strats and Soloists generally have the best geometry for preventing neck dive, since the strap button is further towards the headstock than other designs...but you know - YMMV. 

I have neck/shoulder issues as well - I appreciate your interest in having a lower-weight guitar, though I don't put enough time in to need one at this time!

I was at USACG a couple years ago and got to heft someone's all ebony neck. It definitely weighs in compared to maple. Cagey here would have some specs on weight as he has worked on a lot of stuff and handled all ebony necks before. Not sure about Goncalo in the weight department. You can always call Warmoth and see what their guys say over the phone on Goncalo. If you get Spike on the phone I think he uses Goncalo necks himself. 

With strats though the top strap button on the horn is so far forward you should not have an issues in playing while standing. Roasted maple is fast, especially if you burnish an unfinished neck and Warmoth does not require a finish in roasted maple for warranty.

If you go with a lighter weight body and roasted maple neck (with any fretboard you like) you should have a nicely balanced instrument that won't be too heavy.

Best to you on your project.

Ebony is definitely heavy, but I doubt the neck would come in much higher than 2 pounds, give or take an ounce or two. I have a Bloodwood (Satine) neck on Strat that doesn't dive, and that's one of the heaviest necks I've ever handled at 2 pounds even. If you're unfamiliar with that wood, it's a lot like Ebony, except it's red. Very dense, heavy wood. I also have a one-piece Brazilian Ebony neck that's pretty heavy on a VIP or Soloist (can't remember which) that's the same way. Any of those long upper horn body styles are going to be tough to dive as the center of gravity is too far back from the forward strap hanger.

Rick said:
How about a pic of your current axe?  As to advice on a jazzmaster and body weight take a look at my current jazzmaster build.  It’ll give you some ideas.  Body is 3.3 lbs, neck is 1.8 lbs. peruse the showcase to get a sense of how much things weigh.  You might be interested in the super wide neck offerings by warmoth.

Pics incoming - just gotta grab them off my other computer! I appreciate the insight. That's helpful.

Raf

Zebra said:
A burnished roasted maple neck is neither open-pored nor necessarily light - but it is very fast, very stable, and if you want to cut some weight, you can choose a non-double truss rod design, when while being less stable, would be lighter.  I haven't owned an off-set (yet), so I'm not sure about neck dive, but Strats and Soloists generally have the best geometry for preventing neck dive, since the strap button is further towards the headstock than other designs...but you know - YMMV. 

I have neck/shoulder issues as well - I appreciate your interest in having a lower-weight guitar, though I don't put enough time in to need one at this time!

I could go Strat and be happy. That's a good consideration. As for burnished roasted maple - that's a good idea too. I've played a Roasted Maple necked Reverend that was pretty cool.

musicispeace said:
I was at USACG a couple years ago and got to heft someone's all ebony neck. It definitely weighs in compared to maple. Cagey here would have some specs on weight as he has worked on a lot of stuff and handled all ebony necks before. Not sure about Goncalo in the weight department. You can always call Warmoth and see what their guys say over the phone on Goncalo. If you get Spike on the phone I think he uses Goncalo necks himself. 

With strats though the top strap button on the horn is so far forward you should not have an issues in playing while standing. Roasted maple is fast, especially if you burnish an unfinished neck and Warmoth does not require a finish in roasted maple for warranty.

If you go with a lighter weight body and roasted maple neck (with any fretboard you like) you should have a nicely balanced instrument that won't be too heavy.

Best to you on your project.

I appreciate the advice. So far, roasted maple on a strat sounds like an attractive option.

Cheers,
Raf

Cagey said:
Ebony is definitely heavy, but I doubt the neck would come in much higher than 2 pounds, give or take an ounce or two. I have a Bloodwood (Satine) neck on Strat that doesn't dive, and that's one of the heaviest necks I've ever handled at 2 pounds even. If you're unfamiliar with that wood, it's a lot like Ebony, except it's red. Very dense, heavy wood. I also have a one-piece Brazilian Ebony neck that's pretty heavy on a VIP or Soloist (can't remember which) that's the same way. Any of those long upper horn body styles are going to be tough to dive as the center of gravity is too far back from the forward strap hanger.

How's the bloodwood feel on the shoulder? I've seen the wood and it looks gorgeous!

Back