First full warmoth build: Zebrawood/mahogany, Ebony/Goncalo, custom wiring

jimi23

Just placed an order for everything I need to build my next guitar :D
My first build was a warmoth fiesta red strat, with a second hand reliced neck. Not sure where the neck came from, but its ebony on something, clay dots, 50/50 fret markers, lightly reliced. Full of mojo  :glasses9:
Dropped in a pre-assembled klein pickguard and called it a day.

Bringing us back to the present...
ps6775a.jpg

Just picked up this from the showcase... im sorry if anyone else had an eye on it!! Chambered mahogany, with a zebrawood top. Natural masked binding
The neck was also from the showcase, Ebony on Goncalo Alves, stainless frets, cream dots. Im keeping it raw

Now the more custom parts: I had it routed for 2 humbuckers. I was set on p90s for this guitar, but was worried that being rear routed id be stuck with whatever choice I made forever. So i came up with a medium. Im dropping in 2 seymour duncan p-rails. After a night of looking through many many threads on how to best wire these, Ive come up with my own method.

Controls:
3 way blade switch, pickup selector
-
1 Universal Volume
4 way rotary switch for neck pickup
4 way rotary switch for bridge pickup
-

I can live without a tone control I hope (otherwise concentric vol/tone it is), mahogany and goncalo being warmer woods I doubt ill need to roll of more treble.

The 4way rotaries will be wired for selection between: p90, rail, series, parallel.

Hardware wise Im going all black. I was very close to pulling the trigger on gold hardware, until I saw this thread http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=20107.0
The understated black hardware looks amazing!! So went with a black wilkinson trem, schaller locking tuners, schaller straplocks.

Anyway just too excited, thought id share, and have a place for pics as the pieces come :D

REAL NICE I'm liking Zebra wood the more i see it especially the n/m binding.I'm a fan off
Goncalo too. Stainless is the way to go, get some pics of the neck up :kewlpics:

Great idea on the P-Rails wiring. What kind of rotary switches are they? By which I mean, how many poles I guess.

Rotary switches?  I've never been able to use them well in a live fire situation.  I had a great PRS, but found that I only used 2 or three of the positions for the 5 way rotary switch, and finding them intuitively was never quick enough.
It sure will look keen, though!

Not sure if i can get pics of the neck... I can but they're low res, ill take some on friday when they are due to arrive :D

These are the rotary switches:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/c=3IofG59QcS3In9jRA7Cx1GfRn/s=www.guitarelectronics.com/product/SWR41/4-Way-Rotary-Guitar-Pickup-Selector-Switch.html
4 poles. Going to wire for p90/single rail/series humbucker/parallel humbucker

I don't expect the rotaries to be too much of a problem, as I dont see myself changing pickup style all the time. I have a great single coil axe, and an ok schecter with paf style pickups. I wanted this to be a p90 guitar that can cover ground the others cant.
But i think it would be useful to be able to anticipate the sounds i need before a song and set up as humbucker bridge p90 neck for example. I mainly do jam nights and messing around with different friends and bands, will be handy as a go to guitar to cover many styles :)  :rock-on:

I'd like to give you a +1 on this.
But I think it's going to require a +several.

Can't wait to see more.
PLEASE keep the pics coming.
:rock-on:

photo26091230117pm.jpg

The only relevant pic I have right now :p Just ordered the pickups from prymaxe; they've giving 15% off when you spend $199 if anyone else needs a few things :)

Not sure how long the other hardware will take to reach me down here, so build photos might be a while away. but ill be sure to take some shots of the warmoth gear that arrives friday :D

Oh heres the neck:
sn11462a.jpg

sn11462b.jpg

Didn't want anything flashy to detract from the body. You can see a slight chocolatey streak running through the fretboard which i like. Stainless frets and tusq xl nut.

Gotta hand it to the guys at warmoth; i thought id be waiting at least another week for this. Took me by total surprise when I got the shipping notification. Kept looking at the weight thinking "how are a few pickup rings screws and switches weighing 10lbs?!"  Didn’t seem possible that the custom work was done so quickly.

Back