First Build

Thanks to so many of you here, this turned out much better than I had hoped. Really liking this.

p889552545-3.jpg

p504773929-3.jpg

p542539505-3.jpg

one day, I will be able to afford the hundreds extra it costs to do a quilt top.

AGWANANA-RAMA said:
one day, I will be able to afford the hundreds extra it costs to do a quilt top.

Not sure what typical pricing is as I have nothing to compare my costs to, but the quilt maple top for me was only $75 (USD) over and above the all alder body.

that is a sweet build, not only the body, but the hardware sets it off real nice.
I would be really proud of that puppy
go bring that thing down to a good luthier and have him set it up as nice as the looks and you will have an axe. That's right, an AXE. Bring her to the woodshed and she will chop the wood.

Jusatele said:
go bring that thing down to a good luthier and have him set it up as nice as the looks and you will have an axe. That's right, an AXE. Bring her to the woodshed and she will chop the wood.

Thanks! And she's already set up and plays like a dream. She sounds like butter melting on pancakes---warm and smooth. Not only a first build for me, but my first strat. Was always something of a Gibson man, but the comfort and ease of play--and the versitility--of the strat proved the most pleasant surprise of all. Nice.

Walkingmanblues said:
Jusatele said:

Thanks! And she's already set up and plays like a dream. She sounds like butter melting on pancakes---warm and smooth. Not only a first build for me, but my first strat. Was always something of a Gibson man, but the comfort and ease of play--and the versitility--of the strat proved the most pleasant surprise of all. Nice.
Leo put a lot of research and development into the strat,and it has proven to have paid off, it is the most popular guitar in the world.  Playability was on top of the list, as was varsatility of sound. To think it was released over 50 years ago and still rules is a testament to the work he did and the fact that he LISTENED to the guys he kept asking for ideas and let them help develop those ideas. Funniest thing was Leo was a frustrated player, never was very good, but his tenacity to develop first a solid body electric, and then one that everybody would like has left him the reputation on one of the most influential people of electric guitar. 

great quilt!! but I also really like the back! never seen those dark spots on alder. Great choice to go for brown on the back rather than clear or black!

Amazing color and a really nice and good looking combination of parts/colors.

Well done!
Does it sound like a typical Strat?

reery said:
Amazing color and a really nice and good looking combination of parts/colors.

Well done!
Does it sound like a typical Strat?

Thanks!

A little warmer, perhaps, because I set it up with blender wiring (Master Volume - Tone - Blender) and pretty high value on the capacitor (.055), but there is no mistaking that sound coming from those single coils and a maple fret board. Love how fast that maple is, how bright as well. Pure strat.  Completely diiferent experience from guitars with rosewood fretboards. I haven't been able to put it down.

beautiful.. i love the way the natural masked binding sets off the transparent brown on the back.  great work!

all you need now is a matching tele =)

Thank you all so much...seriously. I spent a lot of time lurking and reading through the DIY Finishing conference and soaking up as much advice as I could before I dove in. Paid off...I owe you all a debt of gratitude for the help I've found here. I've simply fallen in love with the guitar, to the point where my 1st love, a desert burst Les Paul, just sits pining away in its stand over in the corner. I still love her though...she knows that;-)

tangent said:
all you need now is a matching tele =)

Stop! I said the same thing to my wife, and she suggested that unless I could find a better place to spray the nitro, we should consider divorce preceedings....But I keep looking at Richard Thompson's guitar thinking hmmmmm? I want that P90 in the neck..... :)

Back