First build, Poplar strat, Bubinga neck

Crazy Dave

Finished this one a few weeks ago, and took it on holiday with me.

Specs : Poplar body, finished with white Ikea oil and beeswax, Bubinga superwide fat neck with Pau Ferro fbd, Dimarzio Area 67 pups, series/parallel wiring of bridge and neck with mid pickup, Wilkinson tremolo, Schaller locking tuners.

It's amazing how easy this was to set up. I had a nice surprise while intonating the trem bridge : it was already set up, just needed a few little tweaks. The Schaller tuners are heavy, and with the huge neck cause the guitar to dive a little (no problem with a strap). I'll be replacing the tuner buttons with lighter plastic ones later.

The finish is slightly translucent, and the grain shows through nicely. Exactly what I wanted, and very cheap.

WMTH1.JPG

WMTH2.JPG

WMTH3.JPG

WMTH4.JPG

yeah man. really nice and balanced style. the red of the bubinga against the white is great

That's beautiful! Good choices all around. How do you like the reverse headstock? Is that your first one?

Cagey said:
That's beautiful! Good choices all around. How do you like the reverse headstock? Is that your first one?

Yeah, it's my first one. I was amazed at how easy it was to put the finish one and assemble it.  Well, I do have you guys and all the info on this forum to thank for that. I would've screwed up more than a few things if I hadn't had the right info. :icon_biggrin:

Love the reverse headstock, not just for looks, it sounds subtly different. Tuning up can be a bit annoying though, sometimes grab the wrong tuner.  :doh:

Crazy Dave said:
Poplar body, finished with white Ikea oil and beeswax

The finish is slightly translucent, and the grain shows through nicely. Exactly what I wanted, and very cheap.

That's positively genius! I've always wondered the best way to get that kind of finish, but most of the methods I've seen were far more complicated.  It does indeed show nicely!  Great job.

It's a DIY job, so you can still see some brush strokes (yeah, I brushed it on, tried rubbing it with cotton cloth but that would have taken 50 coats) here and there on the edges, but only if you watch it from close up. The way I move about on stage ain't nobody gonna see anything. Finish materials cost me about 20 € in total, and I've got enough left to do at least 5 more guitars and beeswax all my furniture and the living room floor.  :icon_biggrin:

Back